Misspelled Contact Name

Reaction score
I have a strange problem.

About 2 weeks ago, a contact's name started appearing incorrectly. She says that it only happens to me, so must be a setting I have.

It's just annoying for example, the address was MarySmith @ xyz.com and now appears as MaryannySmith @ xyz.com on my inbox "From" line.

I deleted her from address book, but the next time she sent email, misspelled again...any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I deleted her from address book, but the next time she sent email, misspelled again...any ideas?

Maybe the misspelling is on the sender's end. Many folks with multiple e-mail accounts do derivations of their real name (so they can remember them).

When you receive e-mails from this person in the future...double check the senders e-mail address to make sure it's not the "misspelled" address you're referring to. If it's a completely different e-mail account from the sender...maybe it's not misspelled...maybe that's the way the sender created it.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
That's what I am thinking, she keeps saying no...

It's correct when I send email...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's what I am thinking, she keeps saying no...

It's correct when I send email...

In many cases folks do reply to emails from the same e-mail they are sent. But sometimes they reply from a different e-mail account. Maybe this is what the sender is doing (sometimes). Just an idea.

The hypothetical e-mail address examples you mentioned earlier (if they are somewhat similar to the "real-world" e-mail address's you are dealing with)...look too similar to be misspellings (to me).

They look like a "theme & variations" sort of thing that the sender may use with their e-mail accounts. Again...just a theory.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Modified email addresses - never put email addresses on a public forum - unless you like receiving boat loads of spam.

Even if those were fake for examples, they could still be someone's real address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.