CD-Rom

Reaction score
Hi

Ive recently upgraded to a macbook air from windows and the only issue I'm having is that I need to run a CD-Rom for university but its a windows disc and their only advice is to run something like boot camp or parallels.

Ive had a quick look on app store and can't find boot camp at all, I've found parallels and I've also found WinonX. My question is are there any preferences on which of these is best to run a simple cd-rom.

I don't want to have to do anything special I just want something that means I can stick the disc in and do what I need to without partitioning or getting my old knackered laptop out.

Any advice?

Thanks

D :)

Reaction score
Boot camp is in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. You will need a copy of Windows 7 to install.
What exactly is this cd-rom that it needs windows? Maybe we can do something that doesn't require windows.

OP
D
Reaction score
I haven't got a copy of windows I don't think and to be honest I don't want to be messing with my hard drive as it would go horribly wrong knowing my luck lol. Its a cd-rom which contains images and exercises I've tried to run it but the main file is the .exe file and I can't seem to get at the contents to open manually. Ive emailed the help desk at uni and they have suggested parallels or boot camp

Reaction score
Boot camp would be 'messing with the hard drive' and require a copy of windows.
Parallels (or the FREE VirtualBox) would still require a copy of windows to install.
Unless the contents are in an invisible folder, you need windows. You can try something like Tinker Tool to view invisible files.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5721/tinkertool
You might end up borrowing a friends PC.

OP
D
Reaction score
bugger. ok thanks.

what about winosx? that seems to suggest no partitioning, etc is needed. Ive got my old laptop but it seems a lot of hassle to just run a cd rom. I can't believe the university don't have a mac version in this day and age when a good few people use them but still

Reaction score
From the winosx website:
WinOSX has not been updated for a long time now, because :
• I don’t have time
• I’m now focused on other things, like Web developpement and C# programming
• I didn’t reinstall Windows recently, and didn’t saw the aspects of WinOSX that could me more polished

And you don't want to get it from Softonic. Do a search of the forum for why.
You have a (hopefully) functioning PC laptop? I don't see the problem. Assuming it's not across country at the parents?
You can try winosx, or Wine, or Crossover (not free), none of which need windows (don't know about winosx, didn't look into it much) and spend several hours setting it up and hoping it'll work. Or...

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, thanks for all your help. Just didn't want to be messing with multiple computers as I tend to study in the library so would look like a bag lady carrying everything I need with me. Looks like ill have to come up with a plan B

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like Craig said you could try one of the WINE products or WineBottler (both are free), however, neither one is easy to get working and if the Windows program is a bit complicated in its installation, it probably won't work. Crossover is best to use but like Craig mentioned it's not free. It does have a very good automatic installation process for most Windows apps and does not require a copy of Windows or partitioning of your hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.