Having trouble re-inserting optical drive in 17" 2006 iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, a friend of a friend had an iMac with a bad PSU, so i offered to replace it. As i was replacing the PSU and reassembling the machine, i got all the parts in besides for the optical drive, which won't connect onto the motherboard. The riser card is on it, but it won't line up to fit on the board. If you need a video, or any other information, i'd be glad to provide it.

I know it's probably a stupid step i forgot, but i really need help here.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Assuming the correct/original parts are being used...then an assembly/disassembly project to fix a computer is a simple matter of putting everything back together in the proper sequence so all parts will fit properly.

If things aren't put back together in the proper sequence...especially in a tightly packed iMac or laptop computer...then parts can be difficult to get back in.

What I would suggest is...go to ifixit.com...look up your computer model...and review the DIY procedure for the part that is being replaced. It will describe the proper procedure for getting things together.:)

- iFixit: The free repair manual

* Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried using the iFixit guide, but it only shows how to REMOVE it, not how to re install it. The images also seem to be for another model iMac (there's not a guide for my specific EMC#)

I tried taking EVERYTHING out, and putting it back in. I carefully installed everything. I'll try again one more time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried using the iFixit guide, but it only shows how to REMOVE it, not how to re install it.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Follow the iFixit procedure in reverse.

The images also seem to be for another model iMac (there's not a guide for my specific EMC#.

What is the EMC# of your iMac?

I've used ifixit.com MANY times…and have not run into this problem. The bottom line is…all those parts fit in there before the iMac was taken apart…they certainly should fit again upon reassembly.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ifixit guides are designed so that if you follow the removal steps carefully and then reverse the steps (also carefully), a put back together guide is not required. The steps for the 17" iMac are likely the same for other iMac models of around the same year. Try looking one of those over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.