Replacement Battery 13" MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

I have a white 13" MacBook, model identifier 3,1 that I bought new in 2008. The battery is starting to bulge and my battery utility says it's only taking about a 90% charge. Time for a new battery. But I'm overwhelmed by the various numbers associated with the battery and I'd like to get the right battery part the first time. What numbers do I need to know in getting a replacement battery? Can I remove my present battery from my laptop (to look at it's number) without losing my data?

I'd like to buy a 3rd party battery from a company here in the U.S. Can anyone recommend a reputable company that sells quality batteries for MacBook?

I got this info from the System Profiler:

Battery Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016

This is what came with my MacBook when I bought it new.

Thanks,

Bob M.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MacBook Battery

Thanks, Nick,

That looks like a good alternative. I've seen some batteries on Ebay with the sellers receiving many positive responses to sales for MacBooks and most are priced about $22~$30. Can anyone comment on the quality and compatibility of these batteries with my particular MacBook? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience from buyers of these batteries with MacBooks that are similar to mine.

Thanks,

Bob M.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will just say this, OWC sells outstanding products and stands behind them if something goes wrong. An Ebay seller is less likely †ø do that for you. If you pay more and get the OWC battery it will probably act just like when your Macbook was brand new.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like a good alternative. I've seen some batteries on Ebay with the sellers receiving many positive responses to sales for MacBooks and most are priced about $22~$30.

We've also had a number of folks post here that didn't have such a great experience.

Now you're back to where you started. Some good reviews & some not good reviews for this $20-$30 batteries on eBay. Roll the dice...get one...then let us know how it works out.

Generally speaking...we say...you get what you pay for. The OWC batteries are a good price compromise between more costly Apple battery's...and the "el-cheapo" eBay battery's.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacement Battery for MacBook

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the trigger on the 'El Cheapo' battery as it fits into my present finances. The seller I chose had a 98% Ebay positive approval from buyers, many buying the exact same thing I ordered, with no negative reports. The seller offers a 60 day money back guarantee and warranties the battery for three years. It seems he's been in business a good while and does a big volume trade. So I'll take a chance and report my experience after a good interval of time so I can evaluate the battery's performance. In my research, everyone insists that they sell the best batteries.

A gamblin' kinda guy,

Bob M.

P.S. Apparently, I've posted this thread in the wrong area; it should be under Mac Notebooks, right? Apologies.

C

chas_m

Good luck; at the shop I used to work at we saw a LOT of burned batteries that were "cheap" Chinese knock-offs ... there's a reason why those batteries are so inexpensive, and the reason is LOTTERY.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. Apparently, I've posted this thread in the wrong area; it should be under Mac Notebooks, right? Apologies.

Yeah you're right. I guess we were so enthusiastic to help out…that we missed that.;) Thread moved to notebook section.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's been a week with my new 'El Cheapo' battery installed. It is indeed from China. The fit and finish are very good (I got a white one to match my white MacBook). The only two things different that I noticed are that the electrical contacts on the original battery appear to be gold contacts but these are not gold contacts on the new battery. The rubber foot or nipple on the bottom is white rubber whereas the other three on my MacBook are a light, medium gray color.

Performance has been excellent. I've charged and discharged the battery twice so far and I'm using CoconutBattery to monitor it's performance. So far, I'm happy. The proof will be in its longevity. The seller that I dealt with has sold over 100 of these very same batteries for MacBook without a negative report on Ebay. As a more than occasional Ebayer, that's a good sign. This seller offers 60 day money-back guarantee and a three (3) year warranty, if I can find him. At a quarter of the price, so far, so good. If it would've been 3/4 of the price, I would have probably gone with OWC. BTW, I got my RAM upgrade from OWC and it was a simple 10 minute installation, as promised, and my MacBook runs really great and fast now. Very happy with that.

Thanks to all who contributed,

Bob M.

Reaction score
Where can I get a replacement battery for macbook 13" battery MB21.00A5.B07 please?

A laptop battery that still has 90% of it's original capacity left really isn't that bad:)...but the bulging is a problem. Since you want to purchase a 3rd party battery (rather than an original Apple battery)...you could try this:

MacBook 13" White Laptop Battery High Capacity by NewerTech for all MacBook 13" 'White' models up to 2.13GHz

- Nick

Hi Nick,

Are you able to advise me for my laptop at all please?
I need a replacement battery for macbook 13" battery MB21.00A5.B07 - I'm in the UK.
Thanks,

Emma

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.