I have a storage issue concerning other files

Reaction score
how do I free up storage on 256 Gb SSD that has over 90Gb of 'other files'? can I find out what these are and then remove them if not needed? I am using iMac i7

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anything that doesn't fall into one of the categories listed there is part of that other. This includes everything from zip files to swap files (system file related to memory management).

The easiest way to do this would be to download something like DaisyDisk and see where the big directories are.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I am new to this forum. Sadly all that was found were some large files on perm pro which tattled about 50Gb I still cannot find what the dreaded "other" files are. Any more advice would be gladly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The best recommendations I have...

Ignore whatever "Other" has and never look at that again.

Forget that you have ever heard or seen the term "Other" files.

As I stated in that link, the term "Other" is a sick twisted joke.

Your issue is not with "Other" files.

How many file types are there - thousands - hundreds of thousands???
The fact that that stupid graph only lists five (5) types of files and puts all the other thousands of files into a single category and doesn't even include all the files in those categories that should be included should give you a clue - "Other" is pointless and less than useless.

Your issue is with the sick twisted joke of using such a representation for everything except 5 types of files.

If you want to know what is taking space on your drive, use one of the applications recommended in my link above.

Do not use those apps and try to come up with the total used for "Other" - because now that you have a real application to show you what and where your data is stored - it is a waste of your time and energy - plus the fact that you no longer remember of ever having heard or seen the term "Other" files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.