More S/W recommendations wanted.

D

dsyes

I'm new to mac (3days) and so far just a couple of things I'd like to run down.

I REALLY would like to find a password manager similar to RoboForm to use on my powerbook. Matter of fact it is a necessity. (not very succesful with the keychain thing for some reason)

Also I downloaded MacTheRipper , looks great , but will need other apps to burn DVD's with. What do you feel is the best path for this.
Convienence is important but so is quality. ( need something that can edit, like in movie only or full disk, compress, burn ) Use to use dvdShrink / nero combo on my pc but want to see if the mac will be faster.

While we are on the subject I also need a keyboard, I have my pb hooked up with my pc on a KVM switch but my MS keyboard does not support any mac features. It works just does'nt use all the features of the mac.
(need corded /usb) but needs to be both PC/ MAC compliant.

Hey any recommendations will be appreciated....thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Get an apple pro keyboard.. That is all I know from all your questions sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What issues are you specifically having with Keychain?

I've never had to bother with a different password manager, although I believe Camino & Safari are the only browsers that support it.

But other apps (Mail, iChat, AdiumX, Network settings etc.) should all work fine.

Try the 'rebuild keychain' (or something similar like that) to fix any problems you might be having.

OP
D

dsyes

Keychain just does not try to save or fill in some of the sites I use. It is possible that I did do something to disable it but as I am sooo new to mac I would not know what it would be. I will give the rebuild a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dsyes said:
While we are on the subject I also need a keyboard, I have my pb hooked up with my pc on a KVM switch but my MS keyboard does not support any mac features. It works just does'nt use all the features of the mac.
(need corded /usb) but needs to be both PC/ MAC compliant.
I can tell you from experience with KVM switches, any keyboard will work. The MS Keyboard does indeed support Mac related key combos... the keys are just a little different. For example, the "Windows" key becomes the "command or Apple" key. "Alt" becomes "option"....etc.
All of the F-keys should work as well.
Other than those I can't think of any "Mac" features that a keyboard has to offer.

Reaction score
What Mac features does your keyboard not support? I never had any problems with my Microsoft Keyboard, just install the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have never even needed to install drivers. Any keyboard should just work.

OP
D

dsyes

I have an older ms "Internet Keyboard Pro" it is solid as a rock & has everything I need , I'll download the driver to the mac.

I really cannot get Keychain to do anything.. when I go to
Safari > preferences > autofill > edit , the list is always blank...?

How do I get login info into keychain? the boxes on the autofill page are all checked.

I have entered the url & user name & password into the keychain access page but nothing happens when I go to the page to login.

I know it is probably some little item I am missing somewhere but I do not know what it is yet..... I'm thinking I need to do some reading on the overall big piture of how the mac os works. I really don't have a clue as to what I am doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Open Safari, select Safari from the menu bar and select reset safari.
Most likely you told safari not to save your user name & password for certain sites, resetting it will force it to ask you again.

Reset, go to webpage, pop in your pword and hit enter, it should ask you if it should remember your data.

Some websites prevent this from being saved for security reasons though (bank websites for example).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.