Moving iPhoto Photos to External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I'm dragging photos from my iPhoto library to a Seagate External Hard drive because I have too many photos on my computer. Am I dragging over the full image or just a thumbnail? I have my fingers crossed because as I've been doing this I have also been trashing the iPhoto photos. On pins and needles waiting for your response. Signed, STUPID.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You can check easy enough by double clicking on the photos you moved to the external hard drive. But to ease your mind, when you drag the photos from iPhoto to the external, it copies the photo. You should never delete the originals until you're sure. ;) And always make backups!

C

chas_m

A better idea (too late now, probably) would have been to copy over the entire iPhoto Library package to the external drive, and then just redirect iPhoto to use that library. Then you could dump the entire library on the boot drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank You

Dear chas_m & chscag,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Yes, they are full resolution on the external hard drive so all is not lost -- just insanely disorganized. My new brilliant move is to clear space on the time machine (which I should have done in the first place) and back up everything.
This should have been quite simple but alas…
Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Debbie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.