Resize photos for web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
OK so I have adobe photoshop CC.

I need to resize photos for the web so they will load faster.

Some are resized already in the html.

How do I resize for web?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - I use Preview for quick cropping & resizing (also, other basic editing can be done) - see the attached pic - a screen capture of an art work brought into the app - the 'Edit' button (blue arrow) will open the lower menu bar; the 'Resize' button (yellow arrow) will allow the size of the image to be change (in this case for posting, I reduced the dimensions by half). Hope this helps - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.33.57 AM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. As I understand there are two ways to resize and one is for web and one is for print.

Could you elaborate on making sure I do the right one for web?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hello - I use Preview for quick cropping & resizing (also, other basic editing can be done) - see the attached pic - a screen capture of an art work brought into the app - the 'Edit' button (blue arrow) will open the lower menu bar; the 'Resize' button (yellow arrow) will allow the size of the image to be change (in this case for posting, I reduced the dimensions by half). Hope this helps - Dave :)

Is that a power socket right next to the sink? What country allows that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. As I understand there are two ways to resize and one is for web and one is for print.
Could you elaborate on making sure I do the right one for web?

Hello again - I've attached several pics (the first another screen capture w/ the 'Resize' option opened; and a pic from the web illustrating 'Print sizes vs. Megapixel size' needed for a decent print).

For web posting, the resolution of a computer monitor is typically 72 ppi (pixels/inch) - in the pic below mine is set for 144 ppi, which is fine for the web - your next concerns are the size of the image and the overall number of pixels (720 x 400 in my example); the latter is important in emailing/uploading images, i.e. the smaller the better (of course, w/o compromising quality - it's a 'trade-off'). As to image dimensions, the pic should fit the monitor or be smaller; this will vary w/ the size of the monitor & its resolution - I usually keep my uploaded images under 1000 pixels (for the larger dimension) - experiment yourself.

For printing, that is an entirely different set of guidelines; the standard 'good' quality print will require 300 dpi (dots/inch - same as ppi); SO, an image will need MANY more total pixels to make a decent print - look at the attached chart and see the blue arrow I added - for a 5 x 7 inch print, over 3 MP is suggested (even 1.5 MP at 200 dpi). Let us know if this helps - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.50.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.52.20 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, not so much country (North Carolina, USA) but timing - our house was built in the late 1960s, and I assume that was code @ the time (a 3 wire plug w/ a ground is present). We had the same in both bathrooms and the kitchen - we remodeled the BRs & kitchen earlier this century and now all sockets are GFCI - never thought of replacing the one in the den - LOL! Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That helps out a lot actually. Thanks.

Reaction score
burnedfaceless:
Here's another method that I would recommend...
First 2 steps include resizing. Skip to #3 if you don't need pixel dimensions changed.
1) Open image, Choose>Image Size
assuming that you are decreasing the size of the image (or at least not enlarging it)
2) Select Pixel size that you require. If you're not sure, about 1000 pixels the long direction is typically plenty big. Make sure "resample image' and 'bicubic sharper" are selected. Ignore the resolution-- it's irrelevant for your task and will be dealt with automatically.
3) Select>File>Save For Web...
4) On the next screen, select JPEG HIGH for preset and 60 for quality. Check 'convert to sRGB'.
5) Click Save... and select a location.
The file will save automatically as 72 dpi, the quality will be very good for web and the file size will be minimal.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
burnedfaceless:
Here's another method that I would recommend...
First 2 steps include resizing. Skip to #3 if you don't need pixel dimensions changed.
1) Open image, Choose>Image Size
assuming that you are decreasing the size of the image (or at least not enlarging it)
2) Select Pixel size that you require. If you're not sure, about 1000 pixels the long direction is typically plenty big. Make sure "resample image' and 'bicubic sharper" are selected. Ignore the resolution-- it's irrelevant for your task and will be dealt with automatically.
3) Select>File>Save For Web...
4) On the next screen, select JPEG HIGH for preset and 60 for quality. Check 'convert to sRGB'.
5) Click Save... and select a location.
The file will save automatically as 72 dpi, the quality will be very good for web and the file size will be minimal.

Thanks will experiment. Part of the job is adding a logo and I'm having trouble with the framework we're working out of. I hate to say it but I'm probably going to have to dig through the css.

Appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

LOL I Guess every country but the UK.. The one in the bathroom in the USA can have them but some places require them to have the switch with the micro circuit breaker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL I Guess every country but the UK.. The one in the bathroom in the USA can have them but some places require them to have the switch with the micro circuit breaker.

Just curious about when the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) became code in the USA - see attached chart; bathrooms in 1975 (we moved into our house in 1977); kitchen 1987; and wet bar not until 1993. NOW, pre-code wiring is 'grandfathered', so we would not have needed to upgrade in our kitchen and bathroom remodels as long as the power outlet sockets remained in the same place, but we did for safety; and if we sold the house, I would not have to update the power outlet in the bar sink area. Dave :)

GFCI-Chart.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depends on where you live. Here in Texas GFCI is required wherever a water connection is present - bathrooms, laundry rooms, wash sink, etc, and in the garage. They're really a pain because their longevity is short. I have had to replace every one of mine with upgraded GFCI sockets. You can do it easily enough yourself but local code usually requires the job be done by a licensed electrician.

C

chas_m

Sorry to interrupt this meeting of the Electrical Workers' Union :))) but I thought I'd throw in that my ancient copy of Photoshop (CS3) has a specific menu item called "Save for Web and Devices" that automatically takes an image you have open and scales it for 72dpi (web standard) and lets you tweak the compression for best compromise of image quality and size. If you're already inside Photoshop working on an image, then that's probably the best option for making web-optimized images. The latest versions may call this option something else, I wouldn't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to interrupt this meeting of the Electrical Workers' Union :))) but I thought I'd throw in that my ancient copy of Photoshop (CS3) has a specific menu item called "Save for Web and Devices" that automatically takes an image you have open and scales it for 72dpi (web standard) and lets you tweak the compression for best compromise of image quality and size. If you're already inside Photoshop working on an image, then that's probably the best option for making web-optimized images. The latest versions may call this option something else, I wouldn't know.

OH, Chas_m - you're breaking up the party! ;) And, no one commented on my beautiful Australian Aboriginal linocut hanging in that bar area - so sad - ;) Dave

C

chas_m

The Aboriginal linocut is beautiful -- I also fancy all those wood burn brands that make up the wallpaper!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Just curious about when the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) became code in the USA -....... Dave :)
O' Lord.. I have no idea.. See the thing about the US is that those things are broke down by state, county and even city codes and regulations. Most places outside of the city don't require any inspection, though so some states do. For example the house my dad and I built 20 years ago didn't require any inspection or certified election to sign anything. Matter of fact I ran the wires and wired the plugs and switches and he wired the switch box. I was 15 at that time. LOL But if we lived in one of the local Cities, most of the time they do require the fire marshall to inspect the wiring of a house. So its common for 3 different levels of government to impose different levels of regulations. Going from State level to City level, the lower (city) can impose more regulation, but they however can't remove or change county or state regulation..

Sorry to interrupt this meeting of the Electrical Workers' Union :))) but I thought I'd throw in that my ancient copy of Photoshop (CS3) has a specific menu item called "Save for Web and Devices"......... The latest versions may call this option something else, I wouldn't know.

Just checked Photoshop CC, it still shows "Save for Web". Think the other standard Save still lets you save as normal (higher DPI and format) like always.. Just got it installed last night so not sure on everything about it just yet. But couldn't pass up the $9.99 a month deal. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Aboriginal linocut is beautiful -- I also fancy all those wood burn brands that make up the wallpaper!

Thanks - the wall treatment consists of long thin horizontal wood boards made of unfinished pine; vertical grooves separate the printings of Bordeaux wine chateau - bought online years ago and installed myself. Another hobby of mine is collecting wine - have a simple basement cellar. Dave :)

Reaction score
Journeymen Electricians Union meeting

Yo, before the meeting of I.E.W.U. - ZAP (International Electrical Workers Union) - nick-name Zap is adjourned, I note - as Treasure, that "Chscag", "Raddave", "Exodist" , & "Sawday all owe past dues (2013). Please remit post-haste.

P.S. Just waiting for some jawhoo from the dark side to post......"If you own a Mac, you need to be a journeyman electrician."

Gordo

Reaction score
I just want to say a big Thank You for this thread ... in olden times I used Pixresizer (which of course does not work on Macs). Preview is so much easier and more flexible ... I just didn't know that was how to resize, despite asking many people who supposedly "knew" Macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just want to say a big Thank You for this thread ... in olden times I used Pixresizer (which of course does not work on Macs). Preview is so much easier and more flexible ... I just didn't know that was how to resize, despite asking many people who supposedly "knew" Macs!

Hi & welcome to the forum! :) We all appreciate your thanks!

I just switched to Mac OS last spring (less than a year ago) after 30+ yrs on PCs (stimulus was retirement) - for years w/ Windows, my 'quickie' goto cropping & resizing app was IrfanView - how to replace - took me a only a month or less to discover the depth of Preview - Dave

ADDENDUM: also try Grab (Launchpad > Other > Grab) - look at the menu bar at the top left & explore; allows screen & selected captures, BUT also a 10 sec 'timed capture' (which I've used to pull down a menu & put the cursor as a selection).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.