Java or Java not to be

Reaction score
I have became a bit of a puritan why should I allow java to have grace on my New 27" Mac.
Apple would have surly preinstalled if it was absolutely necessary?
Some web threads have suggested that if the website is a little out of date it will require java - whereas more modern up to date sites accommodate Mac technology.

Would this be true of adobe reader and other flash drives, not sure whether these are also referred too as plugins?
I don't want to start to download windows based programs either like micro soft office when I've got pages and numbers preinstalled too!
When I was a nipper going to school at the age of 11, because I was not gifted at maths I was not allowed on the schools Mac computer - Its alway been one of my ambitions to own a mac.
I'm now 47 years of age and I've made the leap - Success lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not necessarily - what is absolutely necessary for some is not necessary for others.
Some web threads have suggested that if the website is a little out of date it will require java - whereas more modern up to date sites accommodate Mac technology.
Regardless of what PC platform you're using (Windows, OS X, Linux), Java will have to be up to date if a website requires it to be as such.

I don't want to start to download windows based programs either like micro soft office when I've got pages and numbers preinstalled too!
You are of course entitled to your own opinion but Office is a great office suite with a lot of functionality that can't be found in Pages. If you find Pages lacking, I'd suggest taking a look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Bigandbald - well, I've got 20 years on you and became reacquainted w/ Apple last spring in my retirement (purchased a new iMac & MBPro to replace my Windows computers - had been on PCs for 30+ years, although started out w/ an Apple II+ in 1980, a year before IBM released their first personal computer!).

AlthoughVansmith has already responded to you, I'll add a few comments from your post below:

I have became a bit of a puritan why should I allow java to have grace on my New 27" Mac.

Keep in mind that there is Java & Java Script - the latter is not a problem, but the former if not kept up to date can be an issue on your Mac - I don't have Java installed on my computers - take a look HERE for a fuller explanation - if you do not need JAVA, then don't install it!

Would this be true of adobe reader and other flash drives, not sure whether these are also referred too as plugins?

You don't need Adobe Reader - Preview opens PDF files well, so unless you need editing features then no reason to get the Adobe products!

When I was an academic radiologist, I needed to use MS Office @ home, so thus my need to use PCs - when I retired, my wife & I transitioned over to Apple computers - if you do not need to use MS Office for your job, then why even consider having to use the suite on an Apple? If you do, then you will need an option that allows you to run Windows & MS Office on your Apple computer (e.g. Boot Camp or Parallels) - Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I was an academic radiologist, I needed to use MS Office @ home, so thus my need to use PCs - when I retired, my wife & I transitioned over to Apple computers - if you do not need to use MS Office for your job, then why even consider having to use the suite on an Apple?
Compatibility is the major reason. Pages just a nice job butchering some stuff in Word documents and some third party plugins (such as Mendeley) don't work in Pages.
If you do, then you will need an option that allows you to run Windows & MS Office on your Apple computer (e.g. Boot Camp or Parallels) - Dave :)
I don't think you're suggesting this but it sounds as if you're implying that Office doesn't exist for the Mac. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't think you're suggesting this but it sounds as if you're implying that Office doesn't exist for the Mac. ;)

No, not at all - I considered the 'business' package @ just over $200 months ago when trying to resolve my Access database issue, but even that does not come w/ the program, but certainly for others who have no need for Access, another possibility - Dave :)

mac-hb-box.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh no doubt, Office for the Mac is a fraction of what the Windows counterpart is. As someone who only needs what comes with the Mac version though, I always have a hard time remembering that people use those other parts. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.