Apple TV 3

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I've brought myself an AT3 to use with my MBA and iPad, does anyone have any tips/hidden secrets etc they wish to share? :p

Thanks,

Em.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At first when I was streaming video full screen from my MBA via Airplay, thought I couldn't use my computer.

Took me awhile to realize that after you connect to the ATV, you can go back up and click on the Airplay icon to be presented with a couple of options. The default is to mirror the desktop, but there is an option for Extended Desktop you can select which will open a new screen on the MBA to do other things at the same time - just as if you had a physically connected external monitor.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Apple TV three can use either the HDMI or optical ports to output sound but not both at the same time. Here's why that's neat depending upon your gear. My wife prefers to listen to most without the surround sound most of the time (less confusion). I prefer to have the surround sound on. Here's what I did initially:

1. HDMI connection pushes audio and video to TV
2. Optical connection pushes sound only to surround sound system.

When I want surround sound all I have to do is turn on the stereo and select the right input. She did not need to touch the stereo at all.

Edit: Two other tips:

1. If you rather a different remote many of the universal remotes work with ATV3. I forget where the setting is but you essentially add a remote. Instead of programming the remote. The ATV shows you a function and it learns which button on the remote controls that function.

2. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard to type in search terms rather than going letter by letter with the remote. In my limited experience even the cheap ones work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
2. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard to type in search terms rather than going letter by letter with the remote. In my limited experience even the cheap ones work.

Or use your iPhone or iPad with the Apple Remote app and do it for free. Assuming you have either i device.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point. I tested the keyboard idea because I had one lying around. I also find entering search phrases in the search box a bit of a pain on the iPhone. Large clumsy fingers don't help much there.

OP
E
Reaction score
At first when I was streaming video full screen from my MBA via Airplay, thought I couldn't use my computer.

Took me awhile to realize that after you connect to the ATV, you can go back up and click on the Airplay icon to be presented with a couple of options. The default is to mirror the desktop, but there is an option for Extended Desktop you can select which will open a new screen on the MBA to do other things at the same time - just as if you had a physically connected external monitor.

This sounds really good! I've clicked on the Extended Desktop, but on my tv it just shows the Apple TV (Airplay) Box with Display/Color etc written in it. Im presuming I can leave a movie playing on my screen and still use my MBA to web search for example?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.