Blue line under DLs in Dock - why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - I know this is probably a simple question (and feel somewhat embarrassed to ask), but in the attached pic there is a blue line at the bottom of my Downloads icon on the Dock - there are only 3 files in the folder at the moment - obviously is a completion bar when an item is added there but never disappeared. I've 're-launched' Finder w/ no effect. SO, what is the 'obvious' answer? :) Thanks - Dave

Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 6.37.30 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Quite a few reports of a full progress bar there with 10.9 currently.

Should be able to get rid of it by opening terminal and restarting the dock - type in "killall Dock" without the quotes. Appears that a reboot is also taking care of it.
Based just on the manual you've got showing there - could be only those using a download manager. Those things just don't play well with OS X in general. We're always seeing some quirky thing related to them. Don't believe I've used a download manager in at least 10 years.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Bobtomay - thanks for your response - I transferred two of those files to other folders w/o an effect; so, I just logged out of my account and re-logged - the blue-bar disappeared - if it happens again, I'll go into the terminal and try the 'killall Dock' - thanks again. Dave :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hello RadDave

Given the large number of postings you've made, my response could be seen as, shall we say immature", as I don't have your experience. But having read lots of Forum contributions, there seems to be a sort of consensus that DownLoad Managers for OS X are rarely needed or helpful and can cause problems most especially if they don't keep up to date with OS X updates and upgrades.

Do you really need one and would uninstalling it not be a more permanent solution?

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello RadDave

Do you really need one and would uninstalling it not be a more permanent solution?

Hi Ian - thanks for your response - :)

Actually, the blue line (have now seen this several times & easily solved, just was curious about the reason) is under the Download icon, i.e. the same folder as in Finder, so part of OS X - I do not have a third party DL app on the computer.

Actually as to your other comment, I still consider myself 'inexperienced' - although I joined in 2012, I delayed the purchase of our two Apple computers (iMac for wife & MBP for me) until the spring of 2013 - so, I've really been active here for less than a year.

I retired in 2011 from an academic radiology career of 34 yrs which involved teaching residents on a daily basis - posting on a number of forums has helped me in this transition and I still feel that I'm contributing as a teacher. Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well well, small world! I retired from clinical & academic neuroradiology in the UK. I still do some minor research and a great deal of teaching. My general & neuroradiology case library runs to over 1,000 cases which means many times that number of HiRes, mainly DICOM, images for which I use Aperture and OsiriX. Always learning.

Nice to "meet" you Dave.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well well, small world! I retired from clinical & academic neuroradiology in the UK. I still do some minor research and a great deal of teaching. My general & neuroradiology case library runs to over 1,000 cases which means many times that number of HiRes, mainly DICOM, images for which I use Aperture and OsiriX. Always learning.

Nice to "meet" you Dave.

Ian

Hi again Ian - surprise, surprise! For me, medical school @ University of Michigan; medical internship & radiology residency @ Wake Forest Univ Sch Medicine (use to be called Bowman Gray School of Medicine) - the neuroradiology faculty when I trained (72-75) were Joe Poole & Dixon Moody.

Owed Uncle Sam 2 yrs, and then returned to the faculty @ Wake in '77 - started in the GI/GU section w/ Dave Gelfand & Gerald Friedland - then we merged into a large 'Abdominal Section', so I still did mainly GI/GU (my interests were the esophagus & colon) but added abdominal US - retired in 2011. Hope that you don't mind the brief bio - Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OOPS - after looking back @ my attached pic and reading the comments of Bobtomay & IWT, my fan-opened DL folder on the Dock showed a file w/ 'Download' in the name - may have been confusing to some? But this was just a PDF of instructions to use the DL manager of a music site (Classics Online; also have an Amazon DL app).

Don't believe that this has anything to do w/ the 'blue line' which Bobtomay mentioned was a not infrequent complaint and offered a way to eliminate the progress bar; my solution of logging out seemed to work also; opening terminal w/ the killall command appears to work. For those seeing the same blue bar, a couple of discussions can be found here: Link 1 & Link 2 - seems to just be an annoying bug, likely to be corrected in future Mavericks updates - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Haven't seen the blue line thing, but i have downloaded some (legal) Torrents and i get to the end, but the download still says .part when the whole file is there and readable. Im not sure if this lies in the Blue Line bug category, but i have had 3 like it now ?!?!?!?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't seen the blue line thing, but i have downloaded some (legal) Torrents and i get to the end, but the download still says .part when the whole file is there and readable. Im not sure if this lies in the Blue Line bug category, but i have had 3 like it now ?!?!?!?

Hi TMac - is the 'blue line' like the one I've shown? From the links, the progress bar may be incomplete or to the right end (like the one I've shown) - seems to be a bug issue at the moment - at least not a big deal. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No mate, with the Torrent, it downloads into it's file, and all the progress comes from the Torrent Client itself, and is shown in the Client Window. When i go to Documents and look at the file, it is example.part instead of example.epub and there is no icon, but i can still open it up.

No Blue Line

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.