Wifi intermittent connectivity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 21.5" iMac, 21.5" iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4s
Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming your router is upstairs since you stated you're connecting your upstairs iMac by ethernet cable. If it is, the WiFi signal may be too weak or intermittent to the downstairs machines. If you have a dual band router, set it to the lower frequency. If not, you may have to relocate the router or get a signal extender for the downstairs machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.

I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.

Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave :)

Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.

Well, good luck and if you go a week or more, then probably fine - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One problem I see out in the field is auto channel does not seem to work for 2.4GHz select channel 1 or 6 or 11 manually which ever will have the best signal to noise and still have good signal strength.
Another thing that seems to help if you use WPA2 only on encryption (its safer) .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.