an email address is driving me mad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Hi all, as you see above, this is what I see in the TO box of emails that a mate of mine replies to from ME, he says he has simply replied to it, at his end he hasn't changed the email address I used to send it to him.

He has checked HIS address book for an entry that looks like that above, but in all his entries, the email address and the Label assigned to that entry are the same.

So I then began to think that this problem was at my end, I looked in my Contacts App, and found I havent actually got ANY of my email addresses in my Contacts App

So I then began to wonder where on earth does my MAIL app get the email addresses FROM the email addresses I get to choose from, when I want to use one to send an email ?

This may sound strange to you, it is even stranger to ME. as the "tp251246@gmail" address is one I dont want to use !!!!

Is there a simple explanation ? please. it's doing my head in !

Tim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The 'From' addresses come from the email accounts you have set up.

They would be in Mail - Preferences - Accounts

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
The 'From' addresses come from the email accounts you have set up.

They would be in Mail - Preferences - Accounts

O dear BOBTOMAY, IF ONLY it was as easy as that, I have just double checked and I can confirm that on my MacBookPro and iPhone the Email Address, the Description and the Full Name, are all identical entries on each line. !!!

I just dont get it ?.

Tim

Reaction score
When you create mail, there are two drop-downs to specify from.
The one on the right is the SMTP server to use, the one on the left is the FROM account to use.
If they're not the same this can happen, showing FROM one account with another account in brackets.
At least that's my take on it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
When you create mail, there are two drop-downs to specify from.
The one on the right is the SMTP server to use, the one on the left is the FROM account to use.
If they're not the same this can happen, showing FROM one account with another account in brackets.
At least that's my take on it.

Thanks for trying buddy, in my MAIL app I only have the FROM drop down list, the email details shown in this Choose FROM Email drop down are exactly the same as shown in the Location described in the post above.

Tim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The available 'From' addresses are provided directly from the email accounts you have set up.

And based on the pics you PM'd - you do have 2 separate email accounts set up.
One that is tim @ t*****.net and one that is tp2**** @ gmail.

If you don't want to use the tp2**** @ gmail... can only suggest you either delete that account or make doubly sure that it is not the one selected when you hit the send button.

If that is not your issue, then I'm lost.

I did see that the gmail account is not enabled, but you would have to go back into your sent messages and verify which account they were sent from.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
The available 'From' addresses are provided directly from the email accounts you have set up.

And based on the pics you PM'd - you do have 2 separate email accounts set up.
One that is tim @ t*****.net and one that is tp2**** @ gmail.

If you don't want to use the tp2**** @ gmail... can only suggest you either delete that account or make doubly sure that it is not the one selected when you hit the send button.

If that is not your issue, then I'm lost.

I did see that the gmail account is not enabled, but you would have to go back into your sent messages and verify which account they were sent from.

Thank you BobToMay that is very good of you to goto so much trouble, I have disabled that account and I dont select it anywhere to be used but going back to my first post I still dont know why this "[email protected]" <[email protected]> is being shown in emails as FROM !.

I think I shall give up !!!!!! thank you everyone for trying !

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.