change default application for mail to open attachments

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the Mac world and... trying to "tell" my mac mail programme (working on macbook air) that it should use a particular programme to open attachments. Currently it defaults to pages to open text attachments, but I want to use Word or Open Office. Is there a way in the settings to permanently set this to something other than pages?

thanks

Martin

M

MacInWin

I am pretty sure Mail gets the default from the system. So, to change Mail's default you have to change the system default. If that's ok with you, use Finder to find a text file, right click on it and Get Info. In about the middle of the window that opens is a section called "Open With" and the default application. Click on it and you should see all the applications that COULD open text files. Pick the one you want, then click the "Change All" button. It may ask for your password, or an admin password. Now, anytime you open a file of that type, it should open the the application you chose. You may need to repeat this process for each file type you want Word/OO to open.

Reaction score
mail defaults

The default application for opening an attachment seems to be the same as the default application in finder. However, the "open with" menu gives a very different selection. How does one add applications in the "open with" menu for attachments in mail?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The list of applications in the Open With dialog is a suggestion / guess about which applications might open the file. To select a different application scroll down the list to "other". A window will open to allow you to select an application.

If you have an application that you're sure will open the file have the dialog box show all applications rather than just the recommended ones. I have a few apps that do not show in the recommended list even though they are open the file I want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.