3d program for 2d photography

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a professional photographer and I have a client that sells beds. Normally they go to the expense of building various sets to shoot each type of bed for their catalog. This time they would like to photograph the beds on a simple plan background and then select the beds with photoshop to cut it out and then add in the background, flooring, lamps & shading in post production, with the hopes of saving some money.
I know photoshop, but I am unfamiliar with 3d programs. The intention is to add in the background, flooring and lamps with other 2d stock photos.
Can anyone recommend a 3d program to make the shadows for the bed, bed legs and added lamps?
I have done this sort of thing before, and the most time consuming part was to add in the shadows with photoshop.

Thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
The easiest way would be with Photoshop. There are plug-ins to do shadows easily.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you cradom, I am looking into that now.

Thank you cradom, I am looking into that now.
I should have mentioned that I was on a mac.
I had assumed that within a 3d environment you would have more control and options.

Reaction score
I assumed as much since you're posting on a Mac forum :)
If by 3d environment you mean an app like Blender or Maya, that's a whole 'nother kind of app and not what you need.

OP
S
Reaction score
of course, :\

yes, I was thinking more long those lines, Maya or Blender.

After your last comment, I did a google search and found Eye Candy from Alien skin that may speed things up for me. I'll have to play around with it and see.

Thank you much!

Reaction score
I think trying to use a 3D program for what you are working on would be a huge waste of time (Blender) and money (Blender & Maya!).

Even if you got 3D models from manufacturers, you cannot convey what those furnishings would actually look like in a room except for positional information (like room layout software).

If you tried to composite your 2D images into a 3d space, it would be extremely hard to get shadows correct based on the flat surface casting the shadows. Since you cannot achieve realism with this, its better to save yourself all the effort and use a Photoshop plugin. Really fast results, and you have better control over other aspects of your image.

In any case - I don't recommend Blender for any 3D work. Its often recommended because it is free and open source, esp by people who do not work professionally in 3D or don't want to spend a dime on softwaer. The learning curve is far greater than other 3D software. It has improved over the last few years, but its not on par with most professional 3D software - despite the what many supporters say about it. Don't take my word for it though - download and spend 5 minutes driving around. Then do the same with Maya, Shade 3D or some other modeling package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.