i5 Into the Water Trough

Reaction score
I had my i5 what I thought was securely ensconced in my deep coat pocket but when I was scooping hay out of the water trough this morning in prep to refill it, it must have worked it's way out from my squeezing through the fence boards. There was only about 2-3" of water. I grabbed it in a matter of 20-30 seconds, ripped of the case and held it upright until I got in the house. Turned it off after reading I should, cleaned out jack and charger receiver. It didn't feel wet, in fact the cu-tips didn't really feel damp that I put in them. Amazingly the phone wasn't even really wet to the touch! It was on before I slid the bar and then turned it off. I now have it sitting on the baseboard heater straight up. Anything else I can do besides cross my fingers? Is it a bad idea to stand it up on the baseboard heater? How long should I leave it there if that isn't a bad idea? I keep checking it to be sure it doesn't get too hot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First, take it off the baseboard heater, like NOW. Those kinds of temps are enough to damage the LCD panel and other components.

Second, get yourself some uncooked, plain white rice and a bag or box. Place the phone into the bag/box with the rice and allow it to sit, powered off for 24 hours or more.

The rice will help wick the water out of the phone and should prevent any further damage.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As cwa107 said, rice is your best friend here (see here). If it was submerged in water for 20-30 seconds, it may have seeped in and done its damage but it's worth a shot.

OP
M
Reaction score
OMG! After rescuing my i5 from the baseboard heat I proceeded to place it in a ziploc bag with a silica packet, no rice on hand, I laid it down and to my disbelief the email alert sounded! Now I know I turned it off and would have seen it come back on had it. So, trembling, I took a chance and went to my email, fine, then checked to see if the phone would call, it did, checked the browser and all appears to be working! Should I being crying tears of joy right now or is there a chance everything can go south at any given moment? :Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OMG! After rescuing my i5 from the baseboard heat I proceeded to place it in a ziploc bag with a silica packet, no rice on hand, I laid it down and to my disbelief the email alert sounded! Now I know I turned it off and would have seen it come back on had it. So, trembling, I took a chance and went to my email, fine, then checked to see if the phone would call, it did, checked the browser and all appears to be working! Should I being crying tears of joy right now or is there a chance everything can go south at any given moment? :Confused:

Turn it off (hold the power button for 10 seconds) and put it back in the bag. Leave it sit in the bag for at least 24 hours. You want to wick as much water out of it as possible and hopefully avoid corrosion internally.

It is certainly a good sign that it's working for right now, but that doesn't mean you're "out of the water", excuse the pun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.