Icon superimposed on Applications icon in dock

Reaction score
This is bizarre. The icon of whatever file is first in the Applications folder is being superimposed on the blue Apps folder/icon that is normally in dock. As you can see in the photo, right now it's the Address book icon. Prior to this it was the icon for a file called \work\indextext.txt, which went away when I deleted that file. (This all started when I was using Google Street view and accidentally swiped the Apps icon off the dock, into that little *poof* cloud of dust.)

Is this indicative of something?

Thanks

Attachments

• dock.png
    dock.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 24

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right click on the Applications Folder which is in the Dock, and select: Name, Folder, List. That will get things back to normal.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah, so simple. I always think it's more serious than it is.

Thanks, Chscag!

Perhaps they designed that as a way to let people have a dock icon for an app that they use frequently? I'll have to remember that trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Perhaps they designed that as a way to let people have a dock icon for an app that they use frequently?

...if it happens to be the one that comes first alphabetically. I really don't know why that option exists. It doesn't seem useful at all.

Reaction score
When you have the Display option set as Stack, like a stack of apps. The first one is on top.
Just eye candy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.