Bar code and Inventory software for Mac

Reaction score
My daughter has an interior design business, her accountant told her she needs to inventory her warehouse. She has a Mac book pro and an iPhone. I am trying to help her find a good program that will allow her to take a picture of an item enter a description of the item, generate and print a barcode label, and enter this information into an excel spreadsheet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved here to "OS X - Apps and Games" the correct forum. It does not belong in our Lounge forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure where it should go. I have done some further research and found that her accounting program has an inventory module in it that will allow you to attach a picture of an item, enter a description and location. It will then assign it an item number, so all I have to find is a good barcode generator program to make labels with the item number on it.

Reaction score
I am looking for a barcode app as well, for the UPC codes. I found a pretty easy QR code generator where you can put contact info, website address, even text in. The text portion doesn't need a WIFI connection to print out the text, so that may be beneficial.

Hope this helps, and that someone can post about a good UPC generator.

OP
S
Reaction score
I found 2 bar code generator programs that sound pretty good. Bar Code Producer by Apparent (single user license $299.99) and Barcode Maker for Mac by iWinsoft ($49.99).
We will probably go with Barcode Maker partly because of cost and mainly because we have no need for everything Bar Code Producer offers.

Now I need to find a scanner that will work with AccountEdge Pro. Their website says the program will work with scanners that output to the computer as a keyboard device, I have emailed their customer support find out what this means because my Mac uses usb or bluetooth for keyboard connection, not a dedicated keyboard connection.

OP
S
Reaction score
I learned that almost all barcode scanners can send data to a computer as a keyboard device, and that Honeywell, Motorola, Wasp, & Socket all make good bluetooth scanners that sell for around $200. While I was looking around I came across 2 iPhone apps that sound promising. iCody, and CLZ Barry, they use the phones camera and send the information to the computer. They are both $9.99 on Apples app stores and both seem to have good reviews. I may try one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.