PowerMac G5 won't boot from disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello,
I purchased a PowerMac G5 without a HD. So, I ordered one with a 2TB capacity and installed it today. I'm still waiting for a copy of Leopard to come in the mail. So, while I was waiting I decided to try installing Jaguar (retail edition). I don't have a Mac keyboard so I used a PC one and booted it up. It wouldn't boot from disk using the normal commands, so I accessed the open firmware and type in:
boot cd;,\\:tbxi

In response, it tells me that the CD isn't compatible. The disc box says it is compatible with G3 & G4, why would the G5 not work? I googled it and others say that they've booted Jaguar on a PowerMac G5. Am I doing something wrong?

Specs:
2.0Ghz PPC CPU
2GB RAM

Please help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There were multiple versions of the dual cpu Powermac G5 2.0ghz.

- The "oldest" version of it could run no OS older than 10.2.7.
- The "intermediate" version can run no OS older than 10.3.4.
- The "newest" version can't run anything less than 10.4.

Jaguar is OS 10.2. So the bottom line is...OS 10.2 (Jaguar) is probably too old for your Powermac G5.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do all PowerMac's have dual CPUs? I thought the serial number and info on the inside said it only had one CPU.

Bummer that it's too old - guess I'll wait until next week to get it running.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do all PowerMac's have dual CPUs? I thought the serial number and info on the inside said it only had one CPU.

The computer was identified as a "Powermac G5" with a 2.0ghz cpu. If it is a Powermac G5 with a 2.0ghz cpu…then it has 2 cpus (dual cpu's)…since all Powermac G5's with a 2.0ghz cpu(s) are dual-processor.

Now if this computer was mis-identified as a Powermac G5…and it's really an iMac G5…then that would be a different situation.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I guess the way I understood it was the it was just one CPU. Guess I misunderstood. It is indeed a PowerMac G5 though - definitely not a iMac. I appreciate the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I guess the way I understood it was the it was just one CPU. Guess I misunderstood. It is indeed a PowerMac G5 though - definitely not a iMac. I appreciate the help!

If it's the big boxy aluminum box...then that is definitely a Powermac G5.:) There were some single cpu Powermac G5's (three)...but they were either 1.6ghz or 1.8ghz. All of the 2.0ghz Powermac G5 models were dual-cpu or dual-core.

I'm fairly certain that OS 10.2 (Jaguar) is too old for your Powermac G5.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help. I'll have to wait until Leopard comes in the mail. I'm just pumped to get this thing up and running! Can you suggest any good software for it? I know there are some incompatibilities with newer software because of the PPC. How does this affect my ability to use modern web browsers etc?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you suggest any good software for it?

Not really. It's an approx. 10 year-old computer...so getting older compatible versions of software won't be very easy (got to check e-Bay).

It also depends on what sort of interests/needs you have...thus what software can be suggested. Basically...if you had a brand new computer...what software would you want. Then look on e-Bay for much older versions.

I happen to have lots of software for my Powermac G5...but that's because I was using Powermac G5's when they were still relatively contemporary computers. Most of the time these days...I mostly use my Powermac G5 for internet, e-mail, music, etc. Occasionally I'll load an old game on it just for fun.

Finding old software for old Windows computers is easy...but not for old Mac's. E-Bay is your best option.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I appreciate the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.