• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why does Comcast lie?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
BTW, burned - I cleaned this thread up to address your concern. I trust you're at ease now, but if there's anything I missed, please PM me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
Does comast throttle?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, burned - I cleaned this thread up to address your concern. I trust you're at ease now, but if there's anything I missed, please PM me.

Yea it's cool I was just messing around

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't wait for FIOS

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not in my area right now, but if they start that crap, it will hasten my departure for FIOS.

Dish brags about their DishNet internet. Well I checked it out since where I live we have Dish and it's really stinks. Very low monthly data limits and not fast either. So you would for sure need a separate ISP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't wait for FIOS

FIOS is great, but they still have that crappy 2 tuner DVR. Comcast's new X1 has 4 recording tuners and a 5th that's dedicated to live TV. That's one of many cool features on the X1 and makes me hate them just a smidge less,

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Comcast products but around Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bell offers Fioptics

Their early implementation was Fiber to the street, then 50mbps dsl (wire) into the house where they streamed TV, phone and Internet service and you had to have a set top box for each TV..

Their newer implementation as in my area, is fiber into the house and the fiber connects to a fiber multiplexor inside my house and a coax output from that fiber Mux feeds my in house cable tv network.

They provide one DVR/ set top box which delivers the analog and the HD TV channels.

Any tv that is on the coax without a set top box gets the analog channels plus a few Qam encoded hd channels.

The fiber mux has a two wire output that ties into my Phone wires.

And the Mux has a RJ 45 output for Internet service.
I get 10mbps Ethernet, but I could have paid 10.00 more per month for 30 mbps Ethernet.

So far I am very pleased with the service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, the news this morning stated that Comcast and Time Warner had the worse customer relations of all the US cable companies. None of the US cable providers fare very well, but those two were at the bottom of the barrel.

I have relatives who are Comcast customers. They can confirm the lousy customer service. I also heard on the TV that they are the two biggest cable companies in the US; Comcast with 23 million customers, and TW with 7 million. That's quite a margin to not have another competitor between them in the ranking.

I have DISH. And it costs too much. So when I get a sales pitch for Uverse in the mail, I call and tell DISH to cancel my subscription and come get the hardware. Last time, they cut $40 a month off my bill for 10 months. So in a few months, I'll do that again.

All the TV service providers are scrambling to find a new business model that is profitable. The younger generation makes use of other options to a greater degree than their old customer base does. This is just the beginning of merger mania in this market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
My dad recently died, so now it's just me and my mom in this house. She started thinking of ways that we could save a little money, so we even started contemplating getting the Comcast Triple Play package as opposed to what we have now, which is Dish for our TV and AT&T U-verse for our phone and Internet. However, all we ended up doing was easing back on some of our Dish programming to a lesser package (and taking off the international German package we had), so we are now saving $35 a month there. We're just going to stick with what we have for now, including Dish and U-verse.

What's interesting is that every once in a while, Comcast seems to like to come to the house and convince us to switch. The last time this happened, I had lost my patience and literally told the guy to "please leave." He told me we were paying too much and not getting enough in return.

Whatever. I don't have anything against Comcast really, but as far as I can tell, no matter who you go with, you're going to pay, and you're still going to wind up with a bunch of channels that you don't really need, as you surf around between the five or six main ones that you watch 99% of the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.