Software update won't let me update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 13 (128 GB) iPad Air 3 (256 GB) Refurbed 21.5”iMac 3.6GHz Intel Core i3 w/Retina 4K (1 TB)
I've got Mavericks and I'm trying to upgrade to 10.9.1 but I keep getting the error:

The file couldn’t be saved because you don’t have permission.(513)

Huh? This happens even when I log in as Admin. Help!

C

chas_m

There's no file to save, so not sure what's going on there. Did you install Mavericks from the Mac App Store? Are you getting the update from the Mac App Store?

It could be that your permissions are out of whack, you could try running Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" and see if that helps. Another recommended way to fix permission problems is to use OnyX (free), a third-party program much recommended around here.

If it is a permissions issue, that will clear it right up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you actually have an Apple ID?

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 13 (128 GB) iPad Air 3 (256 GB) Refurbed 21.5”iMac 3.6GHz Intel Core i3 w/Retina 4K (1 TB)
There's no file to save, so not sure what's going on there. Did you install Mavericks from the Mac App Store? Are you getting the update from the Mac App Store?

Of course there's a file to save. How else can the update be completed. Granted, its done in the background where you don't see if but you do have to download the update before you can install it.

It could be that your permissions are out of whack, you could try running Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" and see if that helps. Another recommended way to fix permission problems is to use OnyX (free), a third-party program much recommended around here.

If it is a permissions issue, that will clear it right up.

Unfortunately, Mavericks will not allow me to open the OnyX app "...because it is from an unidentified developer." I've run permissions over and over and over and nothing changes. Very frustrating. I wish I'd never upgraded to 10.9. Mountain Lion was so steady and there's nothing in the new OS that I can't live without. I don't use Mail, or Safari, or any of the other new features. Maybe I'll just let this update go. It didn't say anything about security issued.

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you actually have an Apple ID?

Um, no offense but, Duh! I've had a Mac for over 10 years so I don't think I couldn't done much without one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, Mavericks will not allow me to open the OnyX app "...because it is from an unidentified developer."

Right click on the file and select "open". The built in Gate Keeper in Mavericks prevents any file from opening unless it's signed by Apple. Files downloaded from the Mac App store are signed by Apple. OnyX is safe, open it as I indicate above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows? Get some odd situations here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Um, no offense but, Duh! I've had a Mac for over 10 years so I don't think I couldn't done much without one.

No one had any idea if you'd had a Mac since 1984 or if you just bought this one yesterday until you made that post. No mind readers here...

Reaction score
I found a fix, or rather, a work around for this 513 permissions error issue. It doesn't require you to reinstall the OS.

Simply Carbon Copy Clone your primary, non updateable drive to another drive. I used the last free version of Carbon Copy Cloner.

Then, boot from that other drive. Notice that you can now download and update to 10.9.2. Do all the updates, repair permissions if you'd like, then Carbone Copy Clone the now updated 10.9.2 drive to the formerly non updateable drive. Boot from the new primary drive.

Done Dizzle.

B

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.