Hidden user account e.g (.user)

Reaction score
Hi

I have tried searching but seem to be going round in circles. I have been working with macs for a few years but have never really used terminal. Someone new has started at work and they are very good with terminal. Today he has created a hidden account on my mac. I can see the account if I type "last" and see he logged in from his machine. I have enabled showing hidden files and can see the home folder but if i delete this it just comes back next time he logs in. How can I remove the .user account?

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn how to use terminal?

Thanks

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the account and password protect the Mac with a strong password. Problem solved. ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
I can not find the account in system prefs its not visible.

I did think I was safe I always have a password set. But today after going out on a job and coming back he just restarts my machine and resets the password. Then recreates any accounts I remove

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would also be saying something to the boss about this. If he is that good with Terminal, and needs to create hidden accounts, then its a fair bet he is up to no good, or using it for something other than work. Be careful how you go about it, but it seems as this new worker can't be trusted, and maybe needs to find another job, and save the company from something embarrassing ??

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can anyone recommend a good book to learn how to use terminal?
Not specifically but I have found a way to remove the user from the command line. It involves using the dscl tool.

Note: I've never tried this before so I can't vouch for its efficacy. In fact, this tool is new to me.

Execute the following to list all of the users on the machine:
Code:
dscl . list /users
You should see the hidden user. Now, enter the following to delete it:
Code:
sudo dscl . delete /users/<the username>
As you've no doubt guessed, replace <the username> with the username. You will be asked for your password - enter it and hit return. You won't see your password as you type it but it is being registered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.