Flash Player alternatives

Reaction score
Looking to rid myself of Adobe Flash Player, currently blocked as update required, Fancy a change.

What else are popular replacements that work fine with Snow Leopard?

C

chas_m

Nothing. To run Adobe Flash, you need Adobe Flash Player. Any other program that runs Flash also relies on Adobe Flash Player.

If you can be more specific about what's blocked, there might be alternative options (for example, YouTube offers HTML5 video players for people who don't have Flash). In the meantime, I'd suggest you just update your Flash plug-in as directed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are open source Flash alternatives (Gnash and Lightspark) but I don't think either work with OS X. There's also Mozilla's Shumway but I think support for that has to be added by the developer.

What exactly are you trying to do?

OP
E
Reaction score
There are open source Flash alternatives (Gnash and Lightspark) but I don't think either work with OS X. There's also Mozilla's Shumway but I think support for that has to be added by the developer.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Recall in years gone by having problems with Adobe stuff and after reading through t & c thought there must be an alternative, but seems not.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean by alternative? Are you looking for an alternative plugin that runs Flash content or are you looking for something to get around using Flash (such as using the HTML5 based player on YouTube).

OP
E
Reaction score
Just something other than Flash which is used for all sorts of internet videos and stuff.

Took the advice of chas_m above and bit the bullet and downloaded update yesterday, funny when I switched on today, it sounded like my computer was defragging loads of action without me doing anything!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't just replace Flash and still hope to receive Flash content - stuff designed to use Flash requires Flash. You can install Silverlight but aside from something like Netflix (if this is available where you are) and a small handful of other services, most rich content is Flash powered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.