Boot not working

Reaction score
"I had windows installed on. When I restart my computer, I get a black screen with the text, INSERT BOOT DEVICE, THEN em PRESS ANY KEY"

After creating my partition and getting to the instal page for windows on my mac, I wasn't able to mount windows on many of the he available drives our or some reason. I'm assuming now that I needed to format the thumb drive I had windows installed on. When I restart my computer, I get a black screen with the text, INSERT BOOT DEVICE, THEN em PRESS ANY KEY.
I reinserted the thumb drive, pressed enter, and nothing happens. This process was repeated multiple times. How do I access the mac boot order on startup to avoid this screen and gain access to my mac desktop instead of the computer wanting to finish the windows installation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot your Mac and hold down the Option key as soon as you hear the sound. Select your Macintosh HD to boot from. After you boot to OS X, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select your Macintosh HD as the default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.