firewall question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I have the osx firewall on. do I also need to turn it on in my westell router/modem?

and what setting should I use if it needs to be on?

thanks.

westell.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't think you need the firewall turned on in the iMac but you should always have it enabled in your modem/router.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good question...especially since you have OS 10.6 support concerns.

I would turn it on...and try different settings (starting with "max/high")...and see how this affects your day to day activities. If it's "too restrictive" adjust the setting to "medium"...etc. This way you customize things to your situation.:)

- Nick

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks for the quick reply. I may try max or medium at least. I don't like low because my modem can still be "seen". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't think you need the firewall turned on in the iMac but you should always have it enabled in your modem/router.

Agree w/ the above - if you have a strong firewall built into your router, then the OS X firewall can be disabled (conflicts could occur w/ both operating); however, if you travel w/ a laptop and use hotel and/or public hotspots, the recommendation is to activate the firewall on the computer. Dave :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok cool. looks like it's opposite of what it should be. I'll disable on OSX and turn it on for the router. thanks. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Call me weird...I always have the "Mac" firewall on...in addition to the router/model firewall. I haven't (as of yet) run to any issues with everything on. But I agree...if it would cause issues...then I would think about turning it off.

- Nick

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guess I could try both and see what happens? what sort of issues should I look for?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I imagine that no conflicts arise since both block similar ports and thus, what gets stopped at the router never reaches the Mac which thus has nothing to complain about.

It probably doesn't hurt to have both on but it's redundant and if you only have the router one on, you lower the risk of conflicts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guess I could try both and see what happens? what sort of issues should I look for?

I cannot speak for others...but as far as I know...I haven't experienced anything.

If I was you (since you may be making a lot of changes):

- Turn off the "Mac Firewall" first.
- Adjust the router firewall setting to what you want...and figure out what router firewall setting is good for you.
- Once the router firewall setting is where you want it...then you could try turning the Mac Firewall back on.

Like I mentioned above...I haven't experienced any issues with both firewalls on...but maybe others have.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Call me weird...I always have the "Mac" firewall on...in addition to the router/model firewall. I haven't (as of yet) run to any issues with everything on. But I agree...if it would cause issues...then I would think about turning it off.

- Nick

I leave mine on in my MBP because I leave the house with it and never experienced any conflicts but on an iMac that is stationary IMO it really is user preference it probably can not hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With wireless router firewall on leave mine to Apple's default of off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I leave mine on in my MBP because I leave the house with it and never experienced any conflicts but on an iMac that is stationary IMO it really is user preference it probably can not hurt.

Again agree, my MBP stays @ home behind our AirPort Extreme Router, but I would certainly use the OS firewall if on the road; and using both seems to have worked out fine for others, so becomes a personal decision.

But if you plan to 'test' the firewall (alone or in combination), then be careful on how the testing is done; e.g. I visited Steve Gibson's website which I used constantly when on PCs - his Shields Up!! will scan a variety of ports etc. on your router or computer to determine if these are 'open', 'closed', or 'stealth' (the link provides an explanation of each).

Well, I scanned my system w/ just the router's firewall in place, all of the 1056 ports tested were closed w/ a handful in stealth mode - the closed ports had responded but of course did not permit TCP packets to pass; I then turned on my computer's firewall and checked off the 'stealth' option producing the same results (see two attached pics); of course, both times only the router was being examined - I would have to directly attach my laptop to the cable modem and then retest, i.e. the laptop would need the IP address (top of each pic) assigned to my cable modem and the router.

Now is having all ports closed enough to ask from one's router or is complete stealth the goal? I've not really delved into the more advanced settings of my fairly new router w/ the AirPort Utility - but would be curious of others' opinions regarding the level of protection desired from their routers. Dave :)

Gibson_RouterOnly.png

Gibson_R+OSStealth.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@macgig

Set your router on "Typical Security" (medium) as that's where it should be for best overall use. Turn the firewall off in your iMac. If you had a MacBook Pro that you were using at places where there is free WiFi (Starbucks, Panera, etc) then you would want to turn on your Mac's firewall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.