"Invalid Characters" error when trying to open a Word document

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hi everyone,

I've got a pressing issue that I can't seem to wrap my head around. I'm using Word 2011 (14.3.9) on Mavericks (10.9.1) for reference.

Recently, I notice that when trying to open one document in particular, I'm greeted with the following error message:

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 12.51.16 PM.png

I haven't got the slightest clue why since most of the possible issues I found online (document being stored on a network drive and invalid characters in the filename) do not apply in my case as the document is stored locally and has no special characters in the name or path to the file. Indeed, nothing has changed about the document except for the addition of a few paragraphs.

When I click OK, I'm given the chance to recover the file, which at first glance, looks perfectly fine. I'm not sure what's causing the issue here then if the document can be recovered perfectly. Because of this though, every time I open the document, I have to save it as something else.

Thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.