Failed installation of BOOTCAMP

Reaction score
Hi All. I have install BOOTCAMP on my iMac. It is installed on its own part ion of 400 Gbs, formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, and is a Logical Volume Group. I cannot get access to this partition to remove it, has anyone any ideas, I think the problem requires a good knowledge of apple programming. The only thing I can do is verify and repair the partition, and I keep getting the message that BOOTCAMP needs to be repaired. John

OP
J
Reaction score
Failed BOOTCAMP

Hi Ferrarr
Yes I have and I get the message:The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to understand what it is that you did? Why use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition of 400 GB that's formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled? Were you attempting to install another version of OS X?

Also, can you provide a screen shot of your partitions from Disk Utility? Perhaps we can figure something out from that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi chscag
I have been onto Apple support this morning, even they cannot fix it over the phone my senior support person tried to wipe the fusion drive but was unable to. She has arranged for the mac to be returned for more in depth examination she thinks that there is a serious problem with the drive. Thanks for your input if I get a problem report I will let you know for future reference. John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. There have been problems with fusion drives and Apple is working on getting them fixed. I suspect what has happened is your fusion drive has "detached" itself from the main drive and can't get back together with it. I've read of this occurring with some drives. Let us know how it goes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Bootcamp

If you remember I had to return my iMac for the repair of what I thought was a fusion drive. As it turned out it was not a fusion drive just a three Terabyte HD, and I was told that is was damaged and had to be replaced. Having been told it was just a bad HD I have tried to install bootcamp again and guess what I have a failed install and a 250gb bootcamp partition to which there is no access and cannot be removed . John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.