Trouble with ipod

Reaction score
My 160gb classic has performed flawless for the last year, its never been dropped. 2 weeks ago i was using mediamonkey & itunes simultaneously on my windows pc. I was going through the list of tracks on my ipod using itunes & looking for the stuff i had marked as 5 star, and marking my tracks up on my pc using mediamonkey.

I then tried to transfer some new tracks from mediamonkey to the ipod, not realising that itunes was still running. 2 pieces of software fighting over my ipod wasnt a good idea. tracks started to transfer at first, but then froze. i had to restart pc to gain access to ipod. windows said there was a problem with device, itunes said ipod was 0byte and needed restoring. however after restore, i am unable to transfer songs either with itunes or mediamonkey. About 20 tracks will transfer, then just freeze, and i will need to restart pc & do the whole thing all over again. ipod has been restore 4 times now.

there is nothing wrong with my music tracks because i synced the same playlist to my sony experia z1

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How old is your iPod classic? The reason I ask is because the older model iPod classic uses a small hard drive which does not have a long life. It sounds like the drive in your classic is acting up. If it restored OK with iTunes and you have a playlist selected, it should have transferred everything from your playlist to the iPod.

You can attempt to change the hard drive yourself if it's bad. I'm not sure where you can buy a replacement but the instructions for taking the iPod apart and changing the hard drive can be found at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i only figured out 30 minutes ago, what i believe was wrong. When winamp is installed, it installs something called winamp agent. this sits in the notification area, and yet is something else that has access to the ipod. So once that was disabled, i had no problem transferring my music on

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been so long since I used Winamp, I forget that it even exists. :) I'm not in Windows often enough to keep up with it. Anyway, glad you figured it out. Be careful with that Classic and don't drop it or you'll be replacing the hard drive like I indicated above. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.