Memory Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
My iMac currently has two of the four available memory slots filled with 2GB memory in each one. Can I simply add two 4GB memory modules to the empty slots to bring my RAM up to a total of 12GB or do I have to match the existing 2GB modules with two more 2GB modules of memory?

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

Bundy

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That should be doable. I would get the RAM from OWC as theirs is guaranteed to work with Macs without issue's.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Assuming we are talking about the iMac in your profile...yes.

- Nick

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Thanks dtravis7. I'm in Canada so I don't know if OWC would ship here for little to know extra cost. I'd prefer to find a Canadian company to make life easier. I'll have to do some homework. But good to know I should be able to do that upgrade at least.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming we are talking about the iMac in your profile...yes.

- Nick

Yes, that is the iMac I still have with the original 4GB of memory. Would like to give it a boost of speed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is the iMac I still have with the original 4GB of memory. Would like to give it a boost of speed.

More ram does not always result in a speed boost. Actually...more ram doesn't exactly makes things faster...it makes things more efficient (which results in more speed). But...this only happens in a computer that is currently suffering from too little ram. And this totally depends on what you do on your computer.

For example...your iMac currently has 4gig of ram. If all you did was e-mail and internet browsing...more ram will probably not make much of a difference. But if you have lots of apps open at once, work with Photoshop and other Adobe apps...then more ram may help.

For more info on this...give this a read (Part #5: The "More Ram = More Speed" Myth section):

Fact or fiction: What does (and doesn't) actually speed up your Mac | Macworld

- Nick

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pigoo3. I do use Photoshop along with Final Cut Pro and I was hoping some extra ram might give it a bit more zip. It seems to lag quite often with the spinning wheel. It can be quite frustrating at times.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in Canada so I don't know if OWC would ship here for little to know extra cost. I'd prefer to find a Canadian company to make life easier. I'll have to do some homework. But good to know I should be able to do that upgrade at least.

We have folks from all over the world who order from OWC. I definitely know of some folks from the UK, Northern Europe, and Australia who have ordered from OWC. Especially if the price of the ram is much more favorable...then the extra shipping cost is not a big deal.

You could also try Crucial.com...and see how that works for you::)

- Crucial.com

* Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oops, did not even notice Canada in your profile! :D Crucial is great Ram also.

With Final Cut and Photoshop I feel the added RAM might help. Both are pretty hungry applications and Photoshop is known to use all the RAM it can get a hold of! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pigoo3. I do use Photoshop along with Final Cut Pro and I was hoping some extra ram might give it a bit more zip. It seems to lag quite often with the spinning wheel. It can be quite frustrating at times.

More ram should certainly help!:)

- Nick

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again guys. I know what to look for now I think and I'll try locally before I venture online and deal with shipping costs.

Appreciate the information as always.

Bundy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best place to buy memory in Canada is at Canada Ram: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.