Graphics Card Question

Reaction score
Hi,
I own a late 2012 27'' iMac. I am an animation student so i use autodesk Maya, Pixologic Zbrush and the entire adobe creative suite. Recently i have had a lot of problems with maya crashing. I did a little research and found a few things that say it could be my graphics card. I'm looking for any kind of advice, input, or suggestions as it has become increasingly frustrating. my Mac's current specs are as follows:

3.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Corei7
32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM- 4X8GB
3TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive
NIVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX-2G-GDDR5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you experiencing crashing in any other program or just Maya? Your machine certainly has enough system and graphics memory. And, is your iMac still under warranty or extended warranty with Apple care? If it is, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar and have them run diagnostics on your iMac.

You might wish to run the Apple Hardware Test on your iMac before contacting Apple. See the following Apple KB article here.

OP
P
Reaction score
It's only maya that crashes. Thank you for your quick reply. I may bring it in to the genius bar like you suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
It's only maya that crashes. Thank you for your quick reply. I may bring it in to the genius bar like you suggested.

Having worked with 3D modeling software, the first thing I must ask is if you have contacted Maya about the issue and is your video card listed as fully functional and stable.

A 680mx is normally a gaming card and you will prob get better results from a workstation card like the quadro. I know thats what we had to run when I used Solidworks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That doesn't do him any good since the GPU in his iMac is non removable and I'm sure he doesn't want to spend more dollars on another computer. We have had other users complain about poor performance when using the Mac version of Maya. Maya should be run in Windows using a Boot Camp dual boot if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
That doesn't do him any good since the GPU in his iMac is non removable ........

Indeed.. I think when I read that last night my brain seen Mac Pro instead of iMac...LOL oops :D

Hmm yea that changes things.. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.