Connectivity problem?

Reaction score
I have a MacAir with Mavericks, a D-Link DI 624 router through which I connect to the Internet via our secured home network with Google Chrome. My wife, using a HP computer with Windows 7 also connects to the Internet with the same router.

Recently, if I turn the Apple on after my wife has turned her computer on the Apple is unable to connect to the internet through our home network but can connect through a neighbors unsecured network. If I turn the router and Apple both off and then back on I have no further problems, regardless of whether my wife’s computer is still on or not.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a MacAir with Mavericks, a D-Link DI 624 router through which I connect to the Internet via our secured home network with Google Chrome. My wife, using a HP computer with Windows 7 also connects to the Internet with the same router.

Recently, if I turn the Apple on after my wife has turned her computer on the Apple is unable to connect to the internet through our home network but can connect through a neighbors unsecured network. If I turn the router and Apple both off and then back on I have no further problems, regardless of whether my wife’s computer is still on or not.

Hi Ham.... - welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some additional information: 1) I'm assuming that you are on Wi-Fi but how is your wife connected to the router, i.e. cabled or also wirelessly?; 2) By 'recently', do you mean that your connections worked fine before; if so, what was changed?; and 3) What security do you have set on your router and are you both using the same password (e.g. WEP, WPA, etc.)?

Finally, is the router you own the one shown in the attached pic? If so, this is pretty old technology (802.11 b/g protocols) - before exploring a solution to your issue, you might want to consider purchasing a new router w/ a newer protocol, such as 802.11 n - just a consideration? Dave

31-i8zcNadL.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.