Remove mail from Email Server?

Reaction score
I have a question with my email. I have it on my iMac in the mail application, and also on my iPhone.

I was wondering if I select the option in Mail preferences that removes a copy of the email from the server, (whether it be after one day, one week, immediately), if that will have any impact on my ability to continue to retrieve and store emails on my iPhone.

Those are the only two devices that I get emails on.
Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As long as your email protocol is setup as IMAP you'll be OK. But keep in mind... that if you remove your email from the server after it's downloaded and then you delete a mail message from your Mac and iPhone, it's gone forever. I have run into occasions where I deleted an email message a later found out that I really should have kept it. However, since I leave my mail on the server, it was an easy move to download it again. The disadvantage of leaving mail on the server is that it accumulates over time. As long as you keep after it and remove old mail, it's a good emergency backup. Of course be sure that your ISP allows mail to accumulate on their server and does not automatically delete it after a certain time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.