Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I cant get my iPad to find my current location in Maps?
Have tried a Location reset in Settings and restarting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - please provide information on your iPad model & iOS installed - check HERE for information about 'Location Services' on iOS 7 (links to earlier versions are @ the bottom).

Location is determined in a number of ways (quote below from the link) - for my iPad 2 w/ Wi-Fi only that is my option, so make sure that your radios are on and if present that cellular is working. Also, are the 'location services' working in other apps? If so you might want to 'Force Close' the Maps app, if not already done. Also did you 'Restart' or 'Reset' the iPad, the latter involves using both the On-Off & the Home buttons pressed simultaneously. Let us know if any of this information helps and if not then please post back. Dave :)

Depending on your device and available services, Location Services uses a combination of cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to determine your location. If you're not within a clear line of sight to GPS satellites, your device can determine your location using crowd-sourced Wi-Fi5 and cell tower locations or iBeacons.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Thank you for your reply Dave. I have an iPad Air with WiFi only.
Cant find Radios anywhere but everything is switched on in Privacy.
I Reset using On-Off and Home button.
It found my location in December when I purchased it, but I have now moved house and it remains on the previous location?
How would I Force Close Maps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your reply Dave. I have an iPad Air with WiFi only.
Cant find Radios anywhere but everything is switched on in Privacy.
I Reset using On-Off and Home button.
It found my location in December when I purchased it, but I have now moved house and it remains on the previous location?
How would I Force Close Maps?

Hi Mark - by radios, I just meant your Wi-Fi (of course, Bluetooth but that would not be of much help) being on & working. Concerning 'Force Close' - will depend on the iOS installed, but see below (a little list that I've used in the iPadForums many times - might want to join - devoted just to iPads w/ over 300K members worldwide).

Are any of the other apps that use 'Location Services' working? Since like me you just have Wi-Fi (a cellular model uses GPS), the service may not be as readily available in your new location (don't know if you out in the country, in a city, or elsewhere?) - have you taken the iPad to other places and given Maps a try? Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible that there's interference or something blocking a GPS signal. It happens - stuff gets in the way and makes the device struggle to find a signal until it gives up.

Have you tried finding your location in different places or only at home?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried all of the above.
However, have not tried in a different location which I will do.

Thank you both for your help.

Reaction score
gps

I have wifi/cellular Pad Air but do not have data plan since don't need cellular service. My maps do not no work without wifi. I thought Ipad had GPS antenna and service without cellular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have wifi/cellular Pad Air but do not have data plan since don't need cellular service. My maps do not no work without wifi. I thought Ipad had GPS antenna and service without cellular.

It has to get the info by either wi-fi or cellular .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The iPad Wi-Fi only does not have built-in GPS, but the cellular models certainly do - Location Services in iOS 7 uses a variety of signals to determine where you may be (see quote below from HERE). From my understanding, for GPS to work on the iPad the following are needed: 1) GPS turned on; 2) Location Services enabled; and 3) Local maps of your location - if these are not 'stored' on your iPad, then a Wi-Fi connection is needed to download the appropriate maps. Dave :)

Location Services allows location-based apps and websites (including Maps, Camera, Safari, and other Apple and third-party apps) to use information from cellular, Wi-Fi1, Global Positioning System (GPS)2 networks, and iBeacons3 to determine your approximate location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.