Which version of Safari?

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
Following an email from google "activity-report", I clicked on the activity report and was told to update safari in order to read the activity report. I then downloaded "Safari recent version" off the net, since then my safari is not working because this new version is not compatible with my mac OS X. How can I restore my old safari version?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the Specs on your Mac and also which version of OSX do you have installed?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for coming back. The compuer is an imac I bought in 2007 and the OSX dates back to then. I do not understand what you mean by Specs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have the OSX DVD that came with your 2007 iMac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do not understand what you mean by Specs.

"Spec's" is short for "specifications". Such as:

- processor speed
- amount of ram
- hard drive size
- video hardware

Basically the specs help to identify what exact model Macintosh computer you have (out of the 100's of possibilities). But I think that the info you provided (2007 iMac and the OS is 10.6.8)...is probably enough at this point.

As far as the problem with Safari. In order to restore the old version of Safari...you (and we) would need to know what version that was.

I might also add...that you are not practicing "safe computing". It is very dangerous to click on a link in an e-mail telling you to download something.

As you can see...downloading Safari (whatever version it was)...was not the correct thing to do. Newer versions of Safari are always supplied via "Software Update" under the Apple drop down menu.

And since you are running OS 10.6.8...your computer may not even be able to run the newest version of Safari...since OS 10.6.8 is an older OS version. OS 10.7, 10.8, and now 10.9 is the latest/newest Mac OS version.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the OSX DVD that came with your 2007 iMac?

Great idea Dennis. I'm guessing the OP has no idea what prior version of Safari they were running (I don't think I would either).

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5.1.10 Is the latest version on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard of Safari. If the he has his install DVD he can get it from there and then run update to update to the latest that can be installed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5.1.10 Is the latest version on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard of Safari. If the he has his install DVD he can get it from there and then run update to update to the latest that can be installed.

That's why I mentioned "Great Idea"!:) OP doesn't have to figure out what version of Safari they had previously.:):)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I mentioned "Great Idea"!:) OP doesn't have to figure out what version of Safari they had previously.:):)

- Nick

I cheated Nick! I am on my late 2006 C2d iMac with 10.6.8 so I looked! :D Grin

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes I realise that now, but stupidly :

I presumed Google was a reliable source. It is ambiguous, that an email relative to security (I was checking via "latest activity update" from Google that nobody other than myself was accessing our different mac equipement), should lead to unsafe computing.

Is the updated Safari version not developed in collaboration with Apple?

Are there no safeguards built into macs to reject updated software recommended to be used on Mac?

Where did I go wrong ? Is it the downloading of a Safari version not approved by Mac.

How should I have proceeded ?

thank you for your helphttp:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cheated Nick! I am on my late 2006 C2d iMac with 10.6.8 so I looked! :D Grin

Hey...whatever works!:) Sounds like you had the perfect resources to make the answer EASY!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I presumed Google was a reliable source. It is ambiguous, that an email relative to security (I was checking via "latest activity update" from Google that nobody other than myself was accessing our different mac equipement), should lead to unsafe computing.

Are there no safeguards built into macs to reject updated software recommended to be used on Mac?

Where did I go wrong ? Is it the downloading of a Safari version not approved by Mac.

You started your post with..."Yes I realise that now..."

If you "...realise that now..." why all the questions?:) You should only have questions if you "don't realize" what was done wrong.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

No, by Apple only, no other company involved.

Not "automagically".

By not getting the update directly from Apple.

You should have thought, "Hmmm. I wonder what version I have and if it is as far as I can go with my OS." Then you should have clicked Safari > About Safari. That would have told you the version you have. Then you should have found Software Update in your Applications folder and used it to tell you if you were up to date. If there was not a higher version of Safari that your OS could run, nothing would turn up. So, there's the safeguard built into your Mac. But, you have to use it properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just stick to Apple Software Updates. If not running OS X.6.8 download and install the Combo Updater. It is also fine to run whenever you are experiencing problems within Snow Leopard:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

C

chas_m

I presumed Google was a reliable source.

Google does not send people emails. I believe that if you checked the coding in that email message you would discover that it was not actually from Google at all, and the download link for whatever it was you downloaded wasn't legit either. If you had been on a Windows machine, you'd be screwed right now, but luckily you're on a Mac. :)

Again, very VERY unlikely to be an actual download of Safari from Apple.

There are ... on modern Macs.

All Apple software updates (like Safari, ie things made by Apple) are handled through Software Update. There is no other channel you should be using for updates except for third-party software, and for that you can check with the vendor's own website.

NEVER click on a link in an email that came from someone you don't personally know, particularly anything purporting to be your bank, brokerage, a vendor you like, a company you do business with, a company you don't think you've ever done business with -- and especially not if the message is trying to scare you in some way ("your account will be deleted/frozen," that sort of thing). Just ignore/trash such emails. If you have a concern, call the business or visit their website independently and see if anything's amiss. Most of the time, such scams give themselves away through their poor use of the English language.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.