iCloud email problems

Reaction score
I suddenly seem to be unable to send e-mails with attachments from my iCloud account. I have tried sending PDF files. None of these files are larger than 160KB, so it can't be a file size limitation.

Here is what I have observed so far in my testing:

When trying to send the messages from the Apple Mail application on my iMac, the messages appear in the Sent folder rather than staying in the Outbox. However, no one receives it. I tried sending it to myself, and to someone I was on the phone with, so they could check it while I was talking to them.

The recipient never gets the e-mail.

Even more troubling is that the Mail application never gave me any kind of error message. The message window disappears after I hit the "send" button. This means I am not sure how long this issue has been going on. I only discovered it today because someone I was trying to send a document to kept telling me that they never received my e-mail with the attachment.

I also tried sending messages with text both in the subject line and the body of the message, in case there was some issue. Same results.

If I send the same people an e-mail with no attachment, they receive it immediately, so clearly the issue is with sending e-mails with attachments. This seems to affect all file sizes (I tried files ranging from 80 KB to 160 KB) and types (I tried Word documents, PDF files, and VCard files).

Ultimately, I was able to get the attachments sent using a gmail account, but that is not a solution, since I want to continue using my iCloud account as my e-mail address.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this possibly a temporary server issue with iCloud preventing sending e-mails with attachments?

C

chas_m

There are several possibilities here, but the most likely one is that some ISP is blocking attachments from iCloud email addresses, believing them to be virus packages (because their anti-virus programs tell them it is).

Did you try ZIPping the files and sending them that way? Years ago I discovered a similar problem with AOL and that's how I resolved the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2012
For what it's worth I just tried this from my iCloud account and the message with a .PDF attachment was sent and received fine.

I know this doesn't help you but it appears iCloud is working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.