What is going on with my 15" Late '13 MBP and how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Thanks for any help you can supply for this weird problem:

As far as I can remember, this started after an instance weeks ago where I was using my HDMI out to watch hulu on my TV: I accidently turned off the TV, which made both my TV and the MacbookPro display to go black.

After a restart, the monitor is sometimes black with no way to turn it on (as if it is no longer the active display despite no other displays being plugged in), but in some cases, it displays the desktop...but in the wrong resolution, and with artifacts and lines streaking throughout. I can sometimes fix this by plugging in and unplugging the HDMI cable and restarting the computer randomly....

This has been a recurring problem over the last few weeks so I have attempted to refrain from shutting the computer down completely. Hoping someone knows what's up...

Thanks again!
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The first thing I would try is a new HDMI cable between your MBP and the TV.

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The first thing I would try is a new HDMI cable between your MBP and the TV.

Well the attached screenshots show what happens when I restart no matter what. (Even without using hdmi out)

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If that's the case, it's time to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar. Your MacBook Pro should still be covered by warranty even if you didn't buy Apple Care (which you should).

OP
J
Reaction score
If that's the case, it's time to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar. Your MacBook Pro should still be covered by warranty even if you didn't buy Apple Care (which you should).

I guess I always knew this was an option.

I use the laptop for work and live well over an hour away from the nearest mac store. I was hoping that I could do a little troubleshooting using the mac forums community before I bring it to the genius bar.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess I always knew this was an option.

I use the laptop for work and live well over an hour away from the nearest mac store. I was hoping that I could do a little troubleshooting using the mac forums community before I bring it to the genius bar.

Whenever you have active Applecare...it's usually best to go straight to Apple...especially when you have a serious video issue.

If you REALLY want to do something yourself...do a complete fresh OS install. This will eliminate any possibility of it being a software issue. If you do a complete OS install...and the problem remains...then it's very likely a hardware issue. Which means Apple needs to deal with it.

FYI. If driving to your local Apple Store is not a possibility...you can ship your computer to Apple for repair.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.