mac malware? VBS-Malware-gen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
on my bank site today, something weird happened. got redirected to a site that looked weird. called the bank and they didnt seem to be too worried about it.

so I got to thinking. 22 yrs i've never had a virus/malware that i've known of. I've always used some sort of free AV on mac. Ive been using clamsXav...

after this weird bank issue, I ditched clamX, installed Avast and did a full scan.

and it found what it called malware. VBS-Malware-gen is what it said. see screenshot.

is this a real threat or false? the file it flagged was a wordpress plugin called:

Add to any version 1.2.7

thoughts?

111.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a false positive from Avast. Ignore it. Read the following thread for more info: LINK Also, the Avast forums have quite a few threads regarding the same thing.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. I posted over there no replies yet. I'll check the link out. :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine did not flag Autorun.inf... it was flagging a zip file for a wordpress plugin I use.

I sent the file to the virus chest and deleted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.