Apple Mail word search taken over by Bing??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Mountain Lion 10.9
I now have an OS X Mountain Lion 10.9 and when I'm typing a note in Apple Mail and have to do a word lookup on my Snow Leopard it use to say "Search with Google" which is where I have my homepage set on Safari. Now, when I have to do a word lookup in Apple Mail it say: "Search with Bing." How did Bing manage to take over my machine. I have never used Bing. So what's the story. Pretty sneaky business that. So what are these blighter's doing?

Cheers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to Safari > Preferences > General > Default search engine > Google. That should do it.

OP
Gwaredd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Mountain Lion 10.9
Go to Safari > Preferences > General > Default search engine > Google. That should do it.

Safari has always been set to Google as a default search engine. So that's not the problem. Strange stuff going on here. Bing! Bah!! :Grimmace:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What 3rd party freeware have you installed recently and from where?

Geneio and InstallMac will exhibit this behavior - almost always packaged with some piece of freeware - from softonic or download.com or some site offering a "free" pdf viewer or an update to a video viewer - even the default install of DivX.

See this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.