Screen sharing

Reaction score
Hi

Could you please tell me,
I have a 27 iMac late 2013 also a mini mac mid 2011 with Parallels running windows 8 on the mini.

I was screen sharing i.e. using my mac 27 as the screen for the mini,all worked well until I installed Parallels 9 for windows 8 on the mini,what am I missing!!!!!!!!!
is there some thing I need to do to get screen sharing back up and running.
Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Kind regards
Mary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You haven't really told us your problem apart from it doesn't work now, so a little more info would go a long way. What doesn't work ?? What have you tried ? What happens when you try to get it working ?? That sort of stuff.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi
I can no longer get to see the mini mac on my 27 iMac screen,pressing CMD & F2 does not bring the mini mac screen up i have checked that file sharing is on.
Not sure what else if anything I need to do.

Regards Mary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I take it from your posts that you lose screen sharing when you're using Windows 8 in a Parallels 9 virtual machine? What happens when you close the Windows 8 virtual machine and go back to OS X, does screen sharing work once more?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi
Yes thats correct,all was fine until I installed Parallels and windows,closing the VM does not give me the ability again.
Regards Mary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Somehow when you installed Parallels 9 and setup the Windows 8 virtual machine it changed your display settings. I can't help you with Parallels 9 since I don't use it nor do I have Windows 8, however, when you close the virtual machine (shut it down completely, not suspend it) screen sharing should return to normal. You haven't really told us if you're completely shutting down the VM. Also, file sharing has nothing to do with sharing the screen when in OS X.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi
Yes I shut VM down rather than suspend it,I did not know file sharing has nothing to do with screen sharing,one learns something everyday!!!
shall have another go, thanks.

Regards Mary

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi chscag

Have screen sharing up and running now, thank you,must have just suspended VM
Cheers Mary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. Closing a VM can be deceiving since suspending it keeps it running in the background. That means the settings from the VM are still in effect. Closing it down is better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.