G4 PowerPC Startup

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a start up problem with my mirror front G4 867 Power PC.
When I start up; after about 20 seconds the fan in the door runs like mad.
The screen shows the Apple and the revolving Sun/Flower. This goes on for a short while and then the unit shuts down.
I've replaced the PRAM battery, reset the PRAM and the PMU.

Any ideas please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you still have your original startup - recovery disk that came with your G4? If you do, try starting the machine with that instead. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup sound. It's hard to tell from what's happening but it's possible the hard drive may have died.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,
I have a start up problem with my mirror front G4 867 Power PC.
When I start up; after about 20 seconds the fan in the door runs like mad.
The screen shows the Apple and the revolving Sun/Flower. This goes on for a short while and then the unit shuts down.
I've replaced the PRAM battery, reset the PRAM and the PMU.

Any ideas please?

Is this a computer you just got (new to you)...or have you owned it for a long time & the problem just started?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Do you still have your original startup - recovery disk that came with your G4? If you do, try starting the machine with that instead. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup sound. It's hard to tell from what's happening but it's possible the hard drive may have died.

I have software restore 1 to 4 and Install 1 and 2 but no startup disc

OP
D
Reaction score

I also have Apple hardware test

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since this computer is not "new to you"...when was the last time it worked properly?...and between the last time it was working properly & when the fan problem started...were you getting any warning signs of a problem?

The fan problem is usually due to a hardware issue/hardware failure. Or did you install anything new or different recently (hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc.)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the discs came with the computer, pop in disc one, reboot and hold down 'C' and see if you can enter Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to check the state of the drive. if no joy run Apple Hardware Test. Keep us posted.

OP
D
Reaction score
Since this computer is not "new to you"...when was the last time it worked properly?...and between the last time it was working properly & when the fan problem started...were you getting any warning signs of a problem?

The fan problem is usually due to a hardware issue/hardware failure. Or did you install anything new or different recently (hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc.)?

- Nick

Well, I had a long period where it wasn't used much , maybe a year.
I added an extra hard drive inside; a Lacie that I was using as an external initially.
But it worked fine .
I had a problem with a Digidesign Mbox that died on me. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

What if I isolate the hard drives, one at a time?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What if I isolate the hard drives, one at a time?

Any troubleshoting ideas you can try the better.:) And the simpler things can be made (fewer devices internally or externally) the better for narrowing things down.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score

- Nick

If the discs came with the computer, pop in disc one, reboot and hold down 'C' and see if you can enter Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to check the state of the drive. if no joy run Apple Hardware Test. Keep us posted.

I ran the hardware test and got error code post/16/2048DIMMO/J21

So I removed the memory module and ran the short test (can't do the long one as it shuts down part way through) and everything checks out

Same thing; fan still runs and shuts down although front light 'pulses'

I can manage to boot to normal screen for seconds; then it all shuts down.

Might be an idea to remove things one by one? as I just mentioned to Nick

thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
I ran another short hardware test that said everything was OK.

The problem still persists so I disconnected each item:

Graphics card, each memory module and each of the hard drives. I disconnected them from the mother board (ribbon connector) as I haven't sussed out how to remove the carriage that they're in, in order to totally remove them including disconnecting the power.

I don't know if its relevant but it flashes up a lot on screen 'no signal', then it recovers
wonder if its the graphics card?

Apart from kicking it around the garage for half an hour; I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure sounds like the gfx card. Take it out, clean the terminal and re-seat firmly and see if there is any improvement.

Whilst open it may well pay to replace the AA1/2 PRAM battery as the machine has been sitting around idly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.