Looking to get an Ipad & wondering what one

Reaction score
I'm looking into an Ipad that we could use when were travel in the US. We want some thing that we would be able to connect to the internet anywhere we are. So if you know what one would be best let me know.....Some of the ones I'm seeing say they have wi-fi + G3....then they say AT&T....does that mean I have to use AT&T?....

OP
C
Reaction score
So if I wanted to be able to use it everywhere & would need a phone carrier & not just
WI-FI........As far as the air vrs the reg Ipad what would be the best one to get ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
So if I wanted to be able to use it everywhere & would need a phone carrier & not just
WI-FI........As far as the air vrs the reg Ipad what would be the best one to get ?

Concerning which iPad to buy is a personal decision, so difficult to advise - you need to visit an Apple Store or an authorized Apple Dealer and 'handle' the newest models, i.e. iPad Air & the iPad Mini - the main difference is their screen size; if you plan to do a LOT of reading, then the larger screen may be your preference; if you want a smaller footprint while traveling then the Mini might be your best choice - so, try before purchasing.

Now if you want an internet connection no matter where you are located, then an iPad w/ a cellular capability would be needed - again, you'll have to decide which company and paid plan best suits your needs; another consideration is Mi-Fi - basically a small box that connects via a cellular signal and sets up its own Wi-Fi hotspot (one example HERE) - some of these are 'pay as you go', so might be a consideration? Good luck and let us know if you have other questions - also checkout iPad Comparative Specs - Dave :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Mini is smaller if that is important, but the Air is faster but they are both quite close in performance except for the screen size now.

Wifi is not available everywhere you go like Cell service would be mostly anyway!

If I was going to travel all over the USA and wanted to Always have a connect to the net I would go with a cellular network.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you intend to travel about in the US, Verizon offers the best cellular connectivity overall. The beauty of any iPad you purchase is that they are not locked to any specific carrier even though you can purchase one from Apple with a Verizon micro sim card already installed. Carriers have a month to month plan varying in cost, so you would want to check into that first before deciding.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...Still undecided. We went to Staples only because it's close to us to look at the different ones. We both like the Ipad air....so that will be most likely the one we'll get....The Mini was nice but we have old eyes & the bigger screen was better for us...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind that if you already have a mobile plan with a carrier, you may be able to purchase a sim card from them to use with your iPad Air. I purchased a sim card from T-Mobile for $10 to use in my Verizon purchased iPad. It works great and T-Mobile gives me free data every month whereas I had to pay with Verizon. So, the story here is.... it pays to do some homework first before you decide which carrier to use with your new iPad Air.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Also, if your mobile phone can create a wifi hotspot then you don't need a 3G/4G iPad or a second data contract. You can save some money on the iPad and consolidate your data contracts.

C

chas_m

One thing I think we should clarify just to preclude any confusion -- you can use your iPad anywhere without Wi-Fi *or* cellular. All your apps will still function as normal (unless they require Internet access, like say the Google search app).

We've interpreted your saying that you "want to use it anywhere" to mean that you want to have *internet access* at all times, (almost) no matter where you are. For that purpose, you might need cellular data, particularly if you are traveling and using the device for navigation, for example.

As I live in a reasonably big city, I've found that I don't need cellular for my iPad, as I am never very far from a public Wi-Fi hotspot, a coffee shop/library/et al, or our downtown zone which has free Wi-Fi. On the very rare occasion that I'm not near free Wi-Fi, I can use my iPhone to "tether" its cellular data like its own "Wi Fi hotspot" that my iPad can use, but this happens only rarely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Keep in mind that if you already have a mobile plan with a carrier, you may be able to purchase a sim card from them to use with your iPad Air. I purchased a sim card from T-Mobile for $10 to use in my Verizon purchased iPad. It works great and T-Mobile gives me free data every month whereas I had to pay with Verizon. So, the story here is.... it pays to do some homework first before you decide which carrier to use with your new iPad Air.
Is there any catch to get the 200mb free from t mobile every month ? I got the sim card try to get connected with
"We're sorry! The Mobile Broadband My T-Mobile site is down." message.
Did you get connected t mobile online or through brick and mortar store ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No catch, the 200 MB is free. I've been using my iPad with the T-Mobile sim for some time now. It works great and the signal (LTE) is strong. I can't guaranty that you'll get good T-Mobile reception outside of a large metro area though. Until they get their 4G LTE system expanded to provide good reception everywhere, it may be spotty. However, here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area it's real good.

If you're already a T-Mobile voice customer, you can add unlimited data to your voice plan and that would include the iPad and an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If not a voice member. out of luck for the free 200mb ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the 200 MB is free regardless. The only cost is $10 for the sim card. T-Mobile has no contracts with any of their plans. But like I said, if you already are a T-Mobile voice customer you can add unlimited data to your monthly plan and cost. Again, no contract required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.