Drag and Drop ???

Reaction score
I've been reading different posts about how to transfer files from imac to ipad mini. It seems this procedure always has to be done through iTunes? Why can't you just hook up the mini to the computer and drag and drop the files like you can with other devices? Or can you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Don't know what your on about ?? I have iCloud setup, so any documents, i have on my Mac, like Pages, Numbers , iMove, Keynote i can access in the cloud. Others, i have iPhoto on both Mac and iPhone5 and iPad Mini, and again i use the Cloud, Photo Stream.
I also have DropBox set up, so if its on my Mac, i can get them on my iDevices. Or Google Drive and set things to Offline use, if your not near WiFi.
There are a 1000 other Apps that can do this as well. I use Air Sharing, and can use Bonjour by using Safari and putting in the Bonjour Address, i can drop documents from Finder into Safari and i have them on my iPad Mini.

So as you can see, there are a LOT of ways to do this, without iTunes, and what ever you read is a big load of FUD . . HTH

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think the OP is asking about simple local file transfers, something that other platforms allow but that iOS doesn't without iTunes. ;)

mickibob, this is the nature of the beast. You can not sync files locally without using iTunes (you might be able to do it if you jailbreak but I can't really tell you much about that). Is iTunes not working for you?

OP
M
Reaction score
vansmith is correct. I just want to move some files. I am not a computer person, wouldn't have an ipad mini if it wasn't given as a gift and have no idea or need for any that stuff TattoedMac is talking about. I thought all this technology is supposed to make things simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
vansmith is correct. I just want to move some files. I am not a computer person, wouldn't have an ipad mini if it wasn't given as a gift and have no idea or need for any that stuff TattoedMac is talking about. I thought all this technology is supposed to make things simple

Hello - what (and how many) kinds of files are you wanting to transfer? If just a few, then Dropbox (DB) is a great solution as already suggested - w/ apps on both devices, files placed in the DB folder immediately appear on the other device.

If you're wanting to do photo transfer, then there are plenty of non-iTunes options - an easy one is to cabled the two devices, and use Image Capture on the iMac - check HERE for directions and other suggestions.

Also, take a look at some of the 'wireless' solutions, e.g. I own an AirStash which uses SD cards (from a camera or w/ other files) and setups up a 'personal' Wi-Fi network - your devices can join the network and files can then be transferred - check the link, if interested.

Well, just a few of the options available - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why can't you just hook up the mini to the computer and drag and drop the files like you can with other devices? Or can you?

The simple answer is because your Mac runs OS X and your iPad Mini runs iOS. Two entirely different operating systems. You've been given good advice on how to transfer files, use one of the methods that is most convenient to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded drop box (iMac 10.6.8) and now all I have is an icon that does nothing when I click on it. Apparently dropbox is open but I don't see anything (I can't put it in trash - I get a message that its open). It shows up on the sidebar when I open the Macintosh HD window. How do I get it to open or close so I can delete it - either one is ok with me.

I left the room to do some other things and when I came back a box was open on the desktop asking me to put in my password for dropbox. When I did it told me my password I set up not an hour ago was incorrect.

I think I also downloaded it to my ipad mini but cant find it there. Instructions say open the downloads window in my browser. There is no indication that there is a downloads window anywhere. How do I find that? And if I decide to delete it, how do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Let me see. Its been so many years since i first installed DB, I'm not sure how it goes. Once you downloaded it, it should be in your download folder in Finder>Downloads Double click on that, and it will either take you through a installer, where it will install it in Applications Folder, or it will pop up in a window as a single icon, and you then drag that to Applications Folder in Finder. Once installed it will put a Dropbox folder at the top of your finder Sidebar, and will also put a icon, in the top Menubar. You can access Dropbox either way, and you can then make folders, and sub folders and even sub-sub folders.

It will by default have Public for one that i know of. All you do is make appropriate folders like images, Documents, and so on that you will transfer, and drag the items into dropbox.
If you downloaded it onto your iPad, it WILL be there somewhere. Use the spotlight feature and search for it. Sorry i can't help with the password thing, just make sure you have the right one. If you are in Mavericks and Safari, and you have it set to remember Login Items then try there.

Have a read of this for more info and help . . . Setting Up Dropbox for the Mac - An Easy-to-Use Cloud Storage System

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded drop box (iMac 10.6.8) and now all I have is an icon that does nothing when I click on it. Apparently dropbox is open but I don't see anything (I can't put it in trash - I get a message that its open). It shows up on the sidebar when I open the Macintosh HD window. How do I get it to open or close so I can delete it - either one is ok with me.

I left the room to do some other things and when I came back a box was open on the desktop asking me to put in my password for dropbox. When I did it told me my password I set up not an hour ago was incorrect.

I think I also downloaded it to my ipad mini but cant find it there. Instructions say open the downloads window in my browser. There is no indication that there is a downloads window anywhere. How do I find that? And if I decide to delete it, how do I do that?

Hello again - you'll need to setup an account on Dropbox online which will require your email address and a password - your stored files can be viewed there and manipulated.

On your iMac, the Dropbox icon when clicked indeed does nothing - the app creates a folder in your Finder - see the attached pic of my opened Dropbox folder in Finder - you simply need to drop the files you want to transfer to your iPad by dragging them into the Dropbox folder; also note the red arrow, Dropbox puts an icon in your top right menu bar that allows you to control the program, set preferences, and visit their website.

The Dropbox app on your iPad will open (see the other attached pic) listing your files on the left - tapped on one will open the file/pic/etc. on the right (in my image, the Dropbox Quick Start) is opened, so help on using the app can be obtained there. I'm not sure why you are not finding the app on your iPad - it is available from the iPad App Store and easily installed; as suggested try a search. Dave :)

photo.PNG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 10.37.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 10.37.56 AM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you, Dave. Once you clearly explained that nothing happens when the icon is clicked on but that a folder opens into which you transfer files everything became clear. It was there all the time ... I transferred my first file successfully.
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Dave. Once you clearly explained that nothing happens when the icon is clicked on but that a folder opens into which you transfer files everything became clear. It was there all the time ... I transferred my first file successfully.
Bob

Great Bob! :) Glad to have helped - please let us know if you have further questions - Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thank you, Dave. Once you clearly explained that nothing happens when the icon is clicked on but that a folder opens into which you transfer files everything became clear.

That's why he's getting the big bucks as our current Member of the Month.

@mickibob Congrats on your first successful file transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why he's getting the big bucks as our current Member of the Month.........

Hi Slydude - LOL! :) YES! Wife & I are going on a Caribbean cruise in March from my bonus money! ;) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The way vacation cruises have been going lately, they may need your services on board! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.