Freezing annoyance with retina MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have been having the same issue with my 2012 retina pro. Its a 3GHz i7 with the 512GB SSD and 8GB of ram and it freezes up on my every time I try and use it. I have tried repairing the disk permissions and the disk as well as several software restores. It only does it on Mavericks and its a very frustrating problem. If I boot into windows on the boot camp partition it is fine and I can run it for as long as I want with no issue. I feel if I spent 2,600 on a machine it should at least work but I may be wrong. I love apple and fix them all the time but this issue has been driving me crazy and I cannot figure out. I took it to an apple store and they ran tests on it and could find nothing wrong with it. :Angry: Its gotten to the point that I only use my old HP PC because while it may be slower at least I can get my work done and save it without having to worry about it freezing all the time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It only does it on Mavericks and its a very frustrating problem.

If this is the possible problem (and the Apple tests indicate no hardware issues)…returning to Mountain Lion (10.8) to verify things seems to me to be the first thing to try.

If the problem goes away with 10.8…that would seem to verify an OS issue…and I bet you would be a VERY "happy camper"!:) And you may have to wait for an updated version of Mavericks…before upgrading to 10.9 again.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd set up and try a different user account.

What's running at start up?

What antivirus app &/or cleaning utility &/or 3rd party disk utility has been installed?

The machine refused to freeze in Apple's presence?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I was able to get it to freeze at the genius bar but they could not figure it out. I have tried downgrading, I did this morning. I cannot figure it out what it is. I have no AV on the machine and it did it without having anything on it after the restore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would start suspecting bad ram (memory modules) or intermittent. Since the modules are soldered to the logic board, Apple is going to be reluctant to change it out. I would return to the genius bar and ask to speak to a supervisor. Make them run a complete diagnosis on the machine and insist that it be fixed.

I hate to say this, but this is one reason why I would never buy a retina machine. Beautiful display, but a PITA if any kind of trouble shooting or maintenance needs to be done. Let us know what Apple tells you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Chscag. Take it back there and talk to someone in charge. It's starting to look like a hardware issue and like Chscag stated, with that machine it's going to take a new board if that is the case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was able to get it to freeze at the genius bar but they could not figure it out. I have tried downgrading, I did this morning. I cannot figure it out what it is. I have no AV on the machine and it did it without having anything on it after the restore.

So are you saying:

- the OS downgrade didn't work?
- the initial theory that the freezing problem was due to a Mavericks upgrade is not correct?

What I'm trying to get at is…what OS install and hardware configuration did this computer have when it was stable? And if it is NOT an OS version issue…or a hardware issue…then the only thing left is some sort of software install/conflict that is causing the freezing.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.