Best antivirus for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be very, very alert when someone tell you to use 'common sense'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Be very, very alert when someone tell you to use 'common sense'!

Not sure why but I got a great laugh out of this, this morning.. Thanks Harry :)

Back on the topic.
It was mentioned that many of us here stated OSX didn't need AV software. And for the most part it doesn't, but the reasoning and conditions for not needing was overlooked.

So for the sake of repetition.

- If you only download from trusted sources (App Store, or a trusted website). If you get software other then the app store you can use MD5 SUM to validate data integrity. Most website like GIMP for example will list the DMG file and its MD5 SUM. So after downloading it you can verify the download was complete and unchanged.

Now for those who don't know about OSX and Unix file system security and program execution/permission rights. I highly advise reading up on them. Because even if you DO download a virus to your desktop through a sneaky embedded application in a Jpeg. It WILL NOT RUN. Let me repeat myself here, I T W I L L N O T R U N.. Sorry not yelling it just trying to make that easy for everyone to read. For the said virus, trojan, etc.. To run, you must first try to execute it, thus it would have to be in a file you are wanting to open. Hence "Trusted Sources". And if for some odd reason you did set one of those application to run within your home directory you would only simple corrupt you own directory, not the rest of the operating system. So for a virus to run amok on your system it would have to be in 'local/user/bin', 'user/bin' or in OSX for example '/applications' Folders..

So to recap, if you only download from trusted sources, don't install untrusted crap. You should be safe.

That said, if you was running a file sharing server. Then that is the exception to the rule as not only would you want to keep files you share safe, you also don't want to spread windows virus either. So computers performing server roles should have A/V software.

And BTW, for arguments sake here is a Ref Link on Unix Security, I highly recommend everyone read into file system permissions and why they are different on Unix, Linux and OSX compared to Windows. I think you will find why windows is so screwed up with viruses.

Cheers,
Joe

Reaction score
To All Whom It May Concern:

I sense that some defense was taken to what may have been interpreted as aggression and/or arrogance. If this applies to you, this was never the intention. However, I didn't have time to read all the replies on the thread, only a handful, but I felt the need to interject my experiences with OS X anti-virus software, primarily to contribute to the original poster's question; helping to shine some personal insight on the matter of his or her concern.

I do thank you all for your much appreciated responses to what I'd written in my own response to the topic of discussion, and I do see you all as being brilliant with Apple systems. At least that's the vibe I get from you all. Also, when I mentioned Norton anti-virus being on Apple systems, I was referring to their employee-business Apple computers. I've had several (upon inquiring) Apple associates on live chat and through technical support make mention of this to me; therefore I find it very, very intriguing about the controversy where anti-virus for OS X is concerned.

To answer whoever's question about what virus was detected on my MBP, I couldn't tell you. All I know is that it dealt with a couple infected cookies, if I recall correctly. Whether the detected files were false-positives or not, it gives peace of mind to know that public market anti-virus applications are actually working or running in the background idle to only have the end-user psychology feel safe. I wouldn't doubt that about some programs, and not just anti-virus protection -- where there's quick money to be made, the thieves manage to find us.

For anyone reading this looking for an anti-virus program, I would have to recommend using BitDefender or Kaspersky. Why do I say this, you ask? Based on detection rate reports of Intego company, of course, they scored number one in detection rate, however, if my memory serves me correctly; BitDefender, Kaspersky, Trend Micro and some other AV company scored the highest in detection. And, believe it or not, while many in the Apple community seem to recommend ClamAV, it had among the worst detection rates of malicious files against a dozen other commercial AV programs. Now that I think about it, the other AV application that scored at top level was . . . Avira. . . or was it Avast? It was one of those. I'd have to find the detection report, but I don't care to look for it, and I've typed enough for tonight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avira is good for sure. Use it on Windows and it's great there. I have the Mac version just in case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Using an anti-virus program on one's Mac is always at the discretion of the user. We only state what the general experiences have been by those of us and others who have been long time Mac users.

Many folks that join our forums are new Mac owners and have been long time Windows users where the use of AV and anti malware software is an absolute must. Most of these new users continue with old habits that are brought over from Windows. However, it's not our direction here to discourage them from using an AV package but to educate them about the facts concerning OS X and viruses or malware.

Also, AV software is getting better and more sophisticated for OS X and while it may not now be needed, there may come a time when it is. Let's keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I would worry more about the NSA watching you through your camera and listening in on your iPhone conversations. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
when I mentioned Norton anti-virus being on Apple systems, I was referring to their employee-business Apple computers.

This is surely so they cannot be accused of propagating Windows viruses to any PC that may be connected to an OSX machine.

As previous posters, who know far more about this topic than I do, have repeatedly asked - if you are aware of a single OSX virus do please name it for the benefit of all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
I haven't read all of this, but few things
1. link to antivir
2. Being careful with email I need elaboration.

When I reported the issue to the technology company I work for he recommended that I reformat and start over. But that's a lot of work.

Anyways clamxav found a ton of stuff with email (and I used the email app for a while)

I didn't download any emails or open links.

I thought I was good for a few days but then when I emailed my contact that clamxav picked everything up the files were altered again and I did a reformat.

The dumbest thing I have done in this thread is post the program I installed, which is difficult to install and doesn't automatically update.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
Oh and after the format everything is A OK.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since the first time posters - that always seem to pop up in these threads and are almost always the only ones telling folks they "must" have an anti-virus software - many of whom, simultaneously have no real knowledge about "current" vulnerabilities and have a fallacious belief that running such software keeps them fully protected with no worries about where they go, what they download, what email attachments they open, etc...

Anyone really interested in the subject needs to have a read here.

I am quite sure I fall into at least the category of those whom he would ascribe into the category of only providing "partial" information. So, have a full read of it yourself - all links included.

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every know pice of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently
2) a list of categories of folks that may want to run an anti-virus
3) current testing (Jan 2014) of the major OS X anti-virus software for those that decide they do want one

Everyone should make their own "informed" decision - not one based on the scare tactics of those selling this type of software.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since the first time posters - that always seem to pop up in these threads and are almost always the only ones telling folks they "must" have an anti-virus software - many of whom, simultaneously have no real knowledge about "current" vulnerabilities and have a fallacious belief that running such software keeps them fully protected with no worries about where they go, what they download, what email attachments they open, etc...

I am quite sure I fall into at least the category of those whom he would ascribe into the category of only providing "partial" information. So, have a full read of it yourself - all links included.

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every known piece of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently
3) current testing (Jan 2014) of the major OS X anti-virus software for those that decide they do want one

Everyone should make their own "informed" decision - not one based on the scare tactics of those selling this type of software.

M

MacInWin

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every known piece of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently

That was a good read, and has been updated to reflect the state of affairs as of the Mavericks release. I second your recommendation that anyone concerned about Malware should read it, all of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have been running Avira Mac Security merely as a test as I normally never run any AV software. As there no are OS X viruses and very few malware threats which Apple Security Updates keep on top of, five full scans have found ........... nothing on each occasion.

As for Nortons, as said they made marvellous products back in OS 7, OS 8 and OS 9 days. Disk Doctor was a must have. For OS X - no thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As for Nortons, as said they made marvellous products back in OS 7, OS 8 and OS 9 days. Disk Doctor was a must have. For OS X - no thanks.

Same for the Windows versions. But that was before super programmer and guru Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec. I still have old versions of Norton Utilities for Dos, and Windows. Also the Norton Commander, Disk Doctor, and Norton Backup. All great utilities while they were still owned by Peter Norton. After Symantec got hold of them, they turned to - well you know. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, I admit I am new to the mac world but I have over 30 years in the PC world and I work in IT. I have antivirus on all Windows computers both personal and at work. When I got my MBP it just went against the grain to not install some sort of antivirus. I use my mac to download files and programs for my windows computer. If the file is a virus my mac won't be affected and the antivirus will catch it - or it has worked that way so far.

After researching several sites I desided to use Sophos. Its free and has a small footprint. I have not seen any slowdown of any kind since I installed it.

This is just my preference and opinion...for what it is worth.

BTW: We just added our first iMac at work. So far I have not suggested any additional apps other than Onyx, which I will use to maintain it. We shall see.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Same for the Windows versions. But that was before super programmer and guru Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec. I still have old versions of Norton Utilities for Dos, and Windows. Also the Norton Commander, Disk Doctor, and Norton Backup. All great utilities while they were still owned by Peter Norton. After Symantec got hold of them, they turned to - well you know. ;D

BOY - a blast from the past - Peter Norton was one of my 'to go to' guys back in those DOS & early Windows days - use to buy his Utilities & AV programs, and his books - Wiki article HERE - born in 1943 (few years older than me) but still alive. As Bob Hope would sing, 'thanks for the memories' - :) Dave

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought and used Norton till he left and I saw things go downhill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Well, I'm reading that link for the 3rd time (I believe) and give a second 'thumbs up'!

Now I'm not running any 'malware software' on our two Macs (behind a router which is enough for me) - but might be worth some discussion for those just getting into these malware & browser decisions - there are at least 3 items that always seem to come up in this discussion, i.e. 1) Adobe Flash; 2) JAVA; and 3) JAVA Script - what to do?

For myself and from my readings, Adobe Flash & JAVA Script seem NOT to be a malware concern (of course always keep these updated), BUT JAVA is indicated to be potentially dangerous, esp. if not kept up to date? In going into Safari Preferences (on Mavericks), I can find only Java Script as an option to disable (probably not necessary) - SO, bottom line is JAVA (differences HERE) still even an issue in the newer OS Xs? Thanks for any input - Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it is with Mavericks (maybe 10.8, I forget), Apple quit providing Java with the OS package. Hence - no button to turn it off in the Security tab of Safari preferences any longer. Java now has to be downloaded/installed direct from Oracle.

In 10.9 it is found in System Preferences - Java (down on the bottom row - if you have it installed).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The easiest way to avoid Java flaws is to just avoid Java entirely if you don't need it. If you do, be vigilant about keeping it up to date along with keeping yourself aware of what you're doing with Java apps.

Flash is slowly becoming avoidable but it's not quite there yet (especially for online video). As with Java, keep that one up to date and be smart.

Javascript is trickier since you can't really avoid it...at all. For instance, there are 21 different Javascript files loaded for this page alone. If you want to avoid it, you're going to have a very boring internet experience. This doesn't mean you can't be safe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.