Status
Not open for further replies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
osx is just as vulnerable as any operating system. Give someone an incentive...people respond to incentives that's economics 101

I do not disagree with you...and I have actually said this many times to other folks over the years.:)

The problem is...after 13 years of OS X...that incentive has not surfaced. So until then...I don't think that every Mac-User should all of a sudden feel compelled to install AV software.

The threat level & the risk level has not changed in 13+ years. We could be having the exact same conversation 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc...and no one would know the difference. We could also be having the exact same conversation 5 years from now...without the risk or threat level changing.

When the risk/threat level changes...then we will have to reevaluate the need for AV software.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
I do not disagree with you...and I have actually said this many times to other folks over the years.:)

The problem is...after 13 years of OS X...that incentive has not surfaced. So until then...I don't think that every Mac-User should all of a sudden feel compelled to install AV software.

The threat level & the risk level has not changed in 13+ years. We could be having the exact same conversation 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc...and no one would know the difference. We could also be having the exact same conversation 5 years from now...without the risk or threat level changing.

When the risk/threat level changes...then we will have to reevaluate the need for AV software.

- Nick

Nick you need to follow tech news. There's an ebb and flow but osx does get hit and they do respond like any other company does.

They do give us new operating systems for free which is a bargain I think.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's brand image is no viruses. That's crucial to their marketing. That is why this mindset is common among mac users. But if you follow technology news you will find that there are waves of malware and viruses that target osx.

Reaction score
They most likely will. It's an operating system, not a vacuum in space. It is not perfect and the notion that they are somehow impervious to viruses neglects any recognition of one simple aspect of human history - if something can go wrong, it will. What evidence do you have that would suggest that OS X is somehow prepared for a future that no one can foresee?

There will, of course, be new malware for the Macintosh. But as I have previously mentioned, the Mac has anti-virus software already built-in. The "evidence" I have that we will be safe, even when that new malware is released, is how Apple has responded in the past to new malware.

Check out the lengths that Apple went to to protect us from MacDefender:

Mac Malware 'Explosion' Missing In Action
Mac malware 'explosion' missing in action | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Quote:
"For a period of several weeks, we see the rapid cat-and-mouse game predicted by people like Ed Bott. Variants of MacDefender appear at the rate of about one a day, and we see a corresponding update of the XProtect definitions file once or even twice a day also."

As long as Apple keeps working to defeat new malware, it isn't worth malware creators' time to create new malware. Especially when it is so hard to create viable malware for the Mac to begin with.

Here's a fun article about how the press (and Windows users) have been crying "wolf" about Mac malware for a decade:

Wolf!
Daring Fireball: Wolf!

When a new threat appears for the Mac that is prevalent, sincerely malicious, and which Apple doesn't handle, then I'll be advising folks to run out and get anti-virus software. Until then, there is no reason to do so, and doing so is likely to be far more trouble than it's worth.

This article, and the example it gives, is out of date, but the premise is still valid:

Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth?
Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews (outdated link removed)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not "crying wolf". And I'm not a windows user. I feel out of place in Windows (8).

Again osx is just as vulnerable to viruses.

Microsoft offers updates (not automatically currently) for a limited time.

We're getting a bargain with free os and updates.

Break it down it's just code. It's coded differently what it's unix based but still....it's code there are holes and there always will be.

Reaction score
Apple's brand image is no viruses. That's crucial to their marketing. That is why this mindset is common among mac users. But if you follow technology news you will find that there are waves of malware and viruses that target osx.

It's true that there is malware for OS X. However "waves of malware" might be hyperbole.
Lets have a closer look at what there is and how afraid we should be.

There is a list of all of the existing malware for OS X here:
The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide
There are a handful of pieces of malware for the Mac. The majority of those are now extinct. Compare that to the *well over a million* pieces of malware for Windows:
BBC NEWS | Technology | Computer viruses hit one million
Sophos has reported that they see over 95,000 new threats for Windows *every day*!!!
Top Ten Tips to Avoid the Regulatory Auditor's Wrath - Data Threat Detection and Prevention | Sophos Security Topics - Virus, Malware, Web, Antivirus and Social Media Security Trends - Cloud Antivirus, Endpoint, UTM, Encryption, Mobile, DLP, Server, See item #5.
So, if you are basing your fears about Macintosh malware on experience having to do with Windows, you are comparing Apples to Oranges. (No pun intended.)

Now, have a look to the far left of each of those pieces of malware for the Mac at:
The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide
There you will see the "threat level" of each. You will notice that none of them have a "high" threat level, and most have a threat level of "none" or "very low."
There is only one that gets as high as "moderate." That threat, Pintsized, can easily be avoided as it is Java-based. Most modern Macs don't even have Java installed, and for those that do you can protect yourself by simply turning Java off in your browser.

Now, we've established that there is just about no threat from existing malware. But there is still a threat, as small as it is. Should we be afraid? No, because ever since OS X 10.6 (we are now at OS X 10.9) the Mac OS has included anti-virus software
The Safe Mac » Mac Malware Guide : How does Mac OS X protect me?
Mountain Lion: Hands on with Gatekeeper | Macworld
Every modern Mac which has been kept updated with Apple's security updates is safe from all existing malware.

Let me also point out that all of the major Mac Web browsers have software built-in (licensed from Google), that keeps users from visiting malicious Web sites where they might pick up malware, called "Safe Browsing":
Safe Browsing ? Transparency Report ? Google
This is also frequently updated.

So, what malware is it, exactly, that Mac users need to be afraid of?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. The BBC source is 2008 that doesn't reflect the current Windows operating system. The auto run with external usb drives was responsible for a lot of that and it has been changed.

The safe mac pages aren't valid sources

2. As far as licensed from google that's industry standard. Firefox has the same safeguards. Windows or Mac.

Macs are susceptible to viruses and malware. Don't fool yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@burnedfaceless

You've made you're point and it appears that no amount of proof or validity is going to change your mind. You of course are entitled to your opinion, but let's get on with helping others instead of all this back and forth.

Thanks.

Reaction score
The safe mac pages aren't valid sources

Says who, and based on what evidence?

No one doubts the veracity of The Safe Mac Web site. Not even the anti-virus program manufacturers whose products have tested poorly in The Safe Mac's comparison tests are foolish enough to question the site's authority.

Macs are susceptible to viruses and malware.

Yes they are, as I previously said. But the number that exist is very low, the threat level of what exists is just about non-existant, and all modern Macs are fully resistant to all known threats in any case. There is nothing that Mac users have to be afraid of, and no need for third party anti-virus software.

If you disagree, please tell us exactly which/what malware we have to be afraid of and why.

Don't fool yourself.

Who is fooling whose self?

An additional interesting citation, for those who think that code is code and that because Windows has a ton of malware that the Macintosh should have as much:

See post from "Munkery" regarding Mac security:

Apple Updates Mountain Lion Developer Preview With New Security Features - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums

Reaction score
I use ESET Imternet Security for Mac

I'm relatively new to Macs ( bought my first one, a MacBook Pro Retina 15", last May). Having used ESET products for all my windows machines, and having never caught a virus or any malware that I know of by doing so, I naturally installed ESET for Mac. I was paranoid back then (still am a little, but I chalk that up to all my years using Windoze). Anyhow....I haven't noticed any appreciable slowing down of the Mac with ESET, except maybe when it's updating the program or the virus database, which I've set to run when the computer turns on. As I come home, turn in the computer, and then pour myself a beer or drink, the updating is finished by the time I use the computer.

So far, I haven't gotten any malware that I know of, and the computer runs as well as it did the day I brought it home. ESET costs $59 a year per computer, but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Apple's brand image is no WINDOWS. That's crucial to their marketing.

Hmm sorry.. Had to fix that for you.. :Oops:

Speaking of security on iPhones, Macs and such. Has anyone else seen the stupid propaganda that NBC has been spouting out about "don't go to Russia for the olympics, you will get hacked."?

OMFG, really.. Then they go to show a video of a guy opening a brand new MBA out of its box, btw the ripped open the box as if "this expert" was such an idiot he couldn't even open an apple box. Set it up on an open network, didn't install any security software, didn't even turn on software firewall and then left it on the network for an hour with no password and then claimed he was hacked. Then the computer he was using to monitor the network activity was an Ubuntu based laptop. Another ***?

Point being we have so many so called experts out there and the media really blows this mess out of proportion.

And also network security and virus protection are the users responsibility. Expect exploits when you don't turn on Firewall, don't turn off File Sharing, don't turn off Blue tooth when not needed, don't turn off wifi when not needed, don't use secure networks or even better physical cable connections and turn off the internet when not needed. And last but not least, create a User account on Windows and stop using the admin account. These are common things to do when traveling. While nothing will prevent a good cracker from eventually getting into your system. But if you make it hard enough for him/her they will just move to an easier target.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@burnedfaceless

You've made you're point and it appears that no amount of proof or validity is going to change your mind. You of course are entitled to your opinion, but let's get on with helping others instead of all this back and forth.

Thanks.

Well we can agree I made my point. I'm open to proof or validity but it hasn't been presented.

C

chas_m

You're right, burnedfaceless --- you've presented no proof or validity that the wide array of non-kooks who have cheerfully contributed their time and expertise (which amounts to mountains more than any individual person, including you, will ever have) are wrong.

So we keep saying what we KNOW TO BE TRUE: there is no reason to run an anti-virus program on your Mac, with one exception: if you are running a partition with Windows on it, that partition should use a Windows anti-virus program as one would put on any Windows installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Looking back for 20 years and looking forward from today's threat landscape ....
If you think that technology can solve your IT Security problems, then you don't understand the technology and you don't understand the problems.
All problems start and end at layer 8 of the OSI model .... that is the layer between the chair and the keyboard.
Everybody talks about malware ( without going into semantics ) whilst all you have to do is ask people for their password.... this has worked in the past and will keep on working. People simply talk a lot.
Malware is not going to be the issue moving forward, people behaviour is.
User awareness is what will help people protect themselves.
Very simple things often get overlooked, ie. if you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it.
Sometimes the mouse is faster than the brain and people just push buttons until no more buttons appear.

If you really look at malware these days, then the challenge is not to get rid of it, but knowing that you have been hit in the first place.
Saying that the threats are low for OS X is not correct, the threats are the same for any OS.
Vulnerabilities in the OS & apps ( or lack thereof ) and people behaviour are the true indicators for risk.
( A great example is people willingly switching off the built-in controls to protect them ... ( face palm ))
Saying that Unix has less vulnerabilities than other OS's is correct, but don't forget that there are many layers of code running on top of Unix to make it OS X.

- Keep your OS and applications up to date.
- Use apps from known developers ( and pay for them )
- Ensure you have reliable backups.
- Do you need Java and Flash ?
- Do you need to have Admin credentials to use your machine ?
- Don't install anything that you have not specifically downloaded.

User awareness ( times 3 ) and communication is what will help people stay safe, no amount of technology will be able to protect someone from doing malicious things to computers.

Just a couple of things that will make your life easier ... and by all means, enjoy your Mac.

Cheers.... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Mc Bie, is sooooo correct. Phishing is the biggest security issues ever. I bet I get 5 emails a week from "WoW Tech Support" or "Mods needing me to validate my username / password" oh and click this link to do so.. /roll eyes.. Also You would be surprised how at how many phone calls some companies get from their so called "IT Department" asking So and So for their username and password, that "something is wrong with their account." And the morons in the office up stairs will give it to them.. /facepalm..

I think I send about 150+ emails a day to the junk bin due to phishing related mess..

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, burnedfaceless --- you've presented no proof or validity that the wide array of non-kooks who have cheerfully contributed their time and expertise (which amounts to mountains more than any individual person, including you, will ever have) are wrong.

So we keep saying what we KNOW TO BE TRUE: there is no reason to run an anti-virus program on your Mac, with one exception: if you are running a partition with Windows on it, that partition should use a Windows anti-virus program as one would put on any Windows installation.

Is the burden of proof on me?

It's an operating system it's susceptible to viruses. 2+2=4.

Whatever I had clam xav didn't pick up and my company saved from the consultant's advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
You just cant help some people.
Why ask for advice if you if you are not prepared to listen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And this one has now run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.