ssh into idle ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have a desktop that is running freebsd. I ssh into this and run python from my MBPr.

I just prefer to use this older pc for python in case I mess something up. Don't want to harm my baby MBPr.

I would like to run IDLE in the ssh session. Have not been able to do this. Not sure you can run idle with ssh anyway. If anyone knows please tell me.

If I can't run IDLE with ssh is there some way I can remote desktop into this desktop? I have been just running it from the command line. But I'm in the process of installing Enlightenment Windows Manger as we speak.

Any help would be appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you say that it doesn't work, what happens? I can't imagine IDLE causing many issues but you never know.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
When you say that it doesn't work, what happens? I can't imagine IDLE causing many issues but you never know.

I'm trying to run idle from a command line only on a remote box with ssh. I think I have figured out that it needs X + a GUI configured to work. I'm just going to use my MBPr. Much easier in the long run.

Thanks Vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you forwarded X over SSH using the -X switch? This will work if you've got the following in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:
Code:
X11Forwarding yes
If you've got that set, you can send IDLE over ssh to your Mac. But, you're right - this isn't going to work if IDLE doesn't already work on your FreeBSD box which will likely pull in X as a dependency.

(This is great timing - I'm in the process of learning FreeBSD myself so it's nice to see some questions that push my thinking).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.