• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Some Windows based advice please

Reaction score
Hello all

Sorry to bring up the need for windows advice but i figure there'll be someone willing to help me out.

My mum's Toshiba Satellite laptop was turned on this morning and the keyborad wont do anything., it will not type in any programs. So i checked the device manager, it all looked good, i unistalled the keyboard driver and when i restarted windows recognised the keyboard and reinstalled it. Still nothing.

So as far as i can tell the keyboard is plugged in ok, otherwise it would not have be recognised as new hardware. I plugged in a usb keyboard and that works fine so i am totally lost.

Any advice would make my mum a very happy lady

Thanks
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
mig.gentry said:
Hello all

Sorry to bring up the need for windows advice but i figure there'll be someone willing to help me out.

My mum's Toshiba Satellite laptop was turned on this morning and the keyborad wont do anything., it will not type in any programs. So i checked the device manager, it all looked good, i unistalled the keyboard driver and when i restarted windows recognised the keyboard and reinstalled it. Still nothing.

So as far as i can tell the keyboard is plugged in ok, otherwise it would not have be recognised as new hardware. I plugged in a usb keyboard and that works fine so i am totally lost.

Any advice would make my mum a very happy lady

Thanks
M

You most likely have a BIOS setting that needs to be changed or a bad keyboard. When your computer boots, open up the BIOS and see if there are any settings related to your PS2 ports. You can also try resetting your BIOS to its default settings. Aslo, you may have a bad keyboard. Try another PS2 keyboard and see if it works OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
typical, not proper plug and play!

get a mac mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
id vote for a dead keyboard if it previously worked and your usb one works fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
christm said:
typical, not proper plug and play!

get a mac mate

Thanks for the informative advice. I bet that really helped him.

I know that dead hardware always works in my Macs... :confused:

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
if you are willingt to open your machine up and fel confident. You could check the ribbon that teh keyboard coonects to the mother board vis. It was loose on my last ibook. So had to open up and reinsert and wow presto worked.

Or try toshiba supoort I have a qosmio and they picked up and replaced for me.

M

maddog39

Hmm... see the problem is that I get this on my PowerBook somtimes but usually the keyboard comes back after a couple minutes and it normally happens after coming back from sleep mode. The mouse does it also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.