Refurb Macbook pro

Reaction score
New to apple laptops and found one for sale. I wanted to know if the one I have found is worth it or should I pass. This is a brand new in box (NIB) Apple Refurbished A1278 Macbook Pro. This was delivered in December 2010 and NEVER opened. 13.3-inch

2.40 GHz, Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB, Installed RAM 4 GB

asking price $550

Thank you for your time.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It can't be both NIB and Refurbished, those two terms are mutually exclusive.
I would not believe anyone that says they have a NIB 3 yr old Mac.
A refurb that's not been opened, perhaps.

Would consider that a fair price - depending on where it's being purchased.
A refurb direct from Apple comes with the same 12 month Applecare as a new unit.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.It was an add on CL in Florida. I'm assuming NIB means (new in box). The actual computer is wrapped in plastic. Maybe that's what he meant by NIB. He said it never been used since he purchased it. Again thank you for your time.

mac.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be very careful about these so called NIB. The A1278 2.4GHz were first released in April 2010, coming up to four years ago. Ask if there is any warranty as Apple refurbished come with a twelve month warranty. Suggest from Apple is the way to go.

OP
G
Reaction score
Be very careful about these so called NIB. The A1278 2.4GHz were first released in April 2010, coming up to four years ago. Ask if there is any warranty as Apple refurbished come with a twelve month warranty. Suggest from Apple is the way to go.

He said he bought it in 2010 and just never used it. Kind of strange. Thanks a lot, I will pass.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you pass on it, why don't you try it out? The thing to check when you try it out, is how many cycles the battery has on it. That's usually a good indication of usage. Not always, but most of the time. Also, if the machine is in good working condition and no exterior damage, having a warranty is not going to be that important. That particular MacBook Pro can be worked on by the user. Memory and hard drive are easy do it yourself swappable items.

Offer him $500... ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He said he bought it in 2010 and just never used it. Kind of strange. Thanks a lot, I will pass.

This sellers advertising claims of "NIB" or "refurbished" may seem a bit questionable (given the age of the computer). Could be the seller is just trying a bit too hard to sell it (or doesn't understand what those terms really mean).

But if you check the computer out…and everything works fine…it can still be a perfectly good computer.:)

Buying computers on CL is all about two things:

- The "road test" of the computer.
- And the price of the computer.

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.