iMac as a monitor?

Reaction score
Can I use my 2009 24" iMac as a monitor? Meaning, can I connect a Macbook Air to it and use the Air as the computer and the iMac as just a slave monitor?

I would like to upgrade my computer since my iMac is getting a bit slow. My first idea was to just get a new 27" iMac, but the display resolution is so high that the items on the screen are tiny. Since my iMac is mounted on the wall behind my desk, it's a bit far away. It's the perfect distance for my 24" iMac, but I am afraid the items on the screen of the high res 27" iMac would just be too small.

So that's why I was thinking of just keeping the 24" iMac on the wall and using a laptop as the new computer (if possible). It would also give me portability as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I use my 2009 24" iMac as a monitor? Meaning, can I connect a Macbook Air to it and use the Air as the computer and the iMac as just a slave monitor?

2009 iMac has no video in port. So no...you cannot use it as a monitor for another computer directly.

There is a software solution called "Screen Recycler". But since it is software...you do take a performance hit:

ScreenRecycler

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.