Wifi printing

Reaction score
I'm presently without a printer, namely because I don't use one very often and I find that the heads usually block.

My daughter has recently moved back home and brought her PC & printer with her. I have been trying to find out if there's a way I can connect via wifi to her printer and use that?

I have considered connecting an Airport extreme to the modem and using an Airport Express to the printer which the daughter can also use to connect to the house wifi.

Is this combination or idea compatible to a PC using XP Pro (I use a MacBook Pro)? Or is there an alternative?

I've a very limited technical ability so bare that in mind for any suggestions.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What printer does she have? If it's a model that has built-in wi-fi, then this will be easy. If not, then it depends on what features it has. If it only prints over USB, then you'll have to set up printer sharing on the PC. If it does let you print over a network by wire (ethernet), then you'd connect it to the router.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, after posting It dawned on me I hadn't checked, well now I have and no it doesn't. So it's time to find a wifi compatable printer. Am I right in thinking that once I've got a new printer and I install it's software onto both computers then I'm up and running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the response, after posting It dawned on me I hadn't checked, well now I have and no it doesn't. So it's time to find a wifi compatable printer. Am I right in thinking that once I've got a new printer and I install it's software onto both computers then I'm up and running?

Most of the modern printers will have numerous features and be able to easily handle a Wi-Fi setup if you want both computers printing to the machine. Last spring we bought a Canon Pixma MX922 - check the link to Amazon which has a long description of its features - certainly other models & brands will provide similar options. I would suggest making sure that AirPrint is also included in those options which allows Apple's iDevices to print w/o the need for additional software on your computers. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm presently without a printer, namely because I don't use one very often and I find that the heads usually block.

This sounds like an ink-jet printer. You should specify if you are only interested in ink-jet printers...or if laser printers are an option as well.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses,

Pig003 I'd considered a laser printer as I tend to print in black & white, but the daughter prints in colour so whilst a colour laser would be an option I think it rules itself out on size, as we'll probably keep the printer in the daughters bedroom (she has a purpose built desk/workstation).

RadDave, thanks for the recommendation of Canon, I'd had a look at the suggestions in PC Pro magazine and a Canon 5463 (I think that was it's number), was a firm favourite with them at a reasonable price for a change.

When you refer to i-devices I presume you mean i-phone, i-pad, I don't own any other Apple devices and don't imagine I'll be buying any. (No issue with them just don't get on with smartphones - just got rid of mine and I have no need for an i-pad the MacBook does all I want), so would AirPrint be an essential requirement for the MacBook to print?

Regards
Charlie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As lifeisabeach noted, you could keep your current printer and either share it from one computer or, if this is possible, connect it to your router. For example, AirPort Express and Extremes let you share your printer by plugging it in to the USB port on the back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for all the responses,

Pig003 I'd considered a laser printer as I tend to print in black & white.....

RadDave, thanks for the recommendation of Canon, I'd had a look at the suggestions in PC Pro magazine and a Canon 5463 (I think that was it's number), was a firm favourite with them at a reasonable price for a change.

When you refer to i-devices I presume you mean i-phone, i-pad, I don't own any other Apple devices and don't imagine I'll be buying any. (No issue with them just don't get on with smartphones - just got rid of mine and I have no need for an i-pad the MacBook does all I want), so would AirPrint be an essential requirement for the MacBook to print?

Hi Charlie - plenty of ink jets for consideration, all cheap (they get you on the **** replacement ink cartridges - UGHH!). I also have an older Brother laser attached (i.e. USB) to my wife's iMac for just B&W - it's shared on our Wi-Fi network so I can print to both of our printers from my MBPro from another room. You probably can cabled the old printer into your daughter's PC and then setup printer sharing - can be a pain.

Concerning the iDevices - yes, I was referring to iPads, iPhones, & iPods - not sure if you and/or your daughter owned any - wife & I both have iPads and nice to just hit a button and printout a 'To-Do or Shopping List' to take along to the store(s) - just a suggestion, if applicable. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

It doesn't what? It doesn't have wi-fi? What about wired? If you can tell us what the model is, we can double-check. And what router you currently have so we can determine if it supports plugging the printer into it for network printing.

OP
C
Reaction score
lifisabeach sorry what I meant was the printer doesn't have a wireless capability, the router at present is manufactured by D-Link and has only 4 ethernet ports on the back panel.

As RadDave has described the printer sharing set "as a pain" and that was something I feared which is why I thought about the extreme connected to the router which would boost the signal and have the express in the bedroom wired to the daughters computer and the printer (the new one, not bought yet), and would allow me to print as well.

Although reading the posts suggests that any modern /powerful router operating over dual channels would be all I need, I say powerful as I live in a Victorian terraced house, (high ceilings, big rooms, brick internal walls).

Thanks again people, sorry I took so long responding but like the man said "but computing is insignificant when compared with looking after grand kids."

Regards
Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
Less than a tank of gas....

I bought a Canon MX 720 Multifunction colour printer with Printing/Scanning/Copying/Faxing capability and WiFi for $69 this Christmas. Works flawlessly and we can print from iPads and Computers. There were some models for $49. Drive modestly for a week and pick one up.

OP
C
Reaction score
PeterC4, thanks for the recommendation, after a quick search on the internet it would appear that the MX720 isn't available in the UK. Must admit I hadn't looked at the cheaper end of some of the famous name ranges but your post indicates it's well worth a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One think to keep in mind the cheaper the printer the higher the ink check for yourself and this is with almost all brands so they either get their money upfront or down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PeterC4, thanks for the recommendation, after a quick search on the internet it would appear that the MX720 isn't available in the UK. Must admit I hadn't looked at the cheaper end of some of the famous name ranges but your post indicates it's well worth a look.

The numbers may be a little different, but the Canon 700 series is pretty good. The 600 series a little cheaper, etc. As to ink cartridges, I believe a lot of the Canon multi-function printers in this generation use the same cartridges but I haven't changed any yet. There are non-name brand cartridges popping up too. All print cartridges are kind of expensive if you ask me. The printers are cheap by comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Canon PIXMA MX725 - this one looks just like mine off of the Canon UK site.

Here's an inexpensive one from Amazon UK... Can't really go that far wrong at the price below....
Canon PIXMA MX395 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, 30 Page ADF and Scan to Cloud)

was £59.00 now £38.99
Only 13 left in stock - order soon.
More buying choices
£35.00 new (18 offers)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.